Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2007, 06:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Could not transmit unit 1

I finished my first WU yesterday, but when the smp client tries to send it in, I get this message over and over:

Attempting to send results
Couldn't send HTTP request to server <wininet>
Couldn't connect to work server <results>
Could not tranmist unit 1 to Collection server; keeping in queue.

Discouraging- I can't be bothered to spend much time figuring this out- if they want people to do their research for them, they can't make it a pain in the ass to do it.
Old April 11, 2007, 09:39 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I usually get that message at the end of a protein when it's about to start another one it seems it gets stuck deleting the finished work unit. It sucks up some major bandwidth as it's attempting to send it also but if you let it go (if you're away) it will eventually say unable to send client keeping in que and it won't try to send it again unless you restart the client or finish another protein.
The WU's are showing up as completed on their end so I just delete the file causing the problem, hopefully they will have the bug fixed shortly when the beta is finished and we get the regular SMP Windows client
Old April 11, 2007, 12:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Were you hooked up when it tried to send?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 11, 2007, 12:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yeah-- tried at at all times of the day too.
Old April 13, 2007, 07:38 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Stanford started having netwrk problems yesterday ... you are not alone ... everyone is experiencing slow uploads and downloads which is most noticable on the smp wu's becuz they are so big ... my linux smp rigs are having the same issue.

One way to try to force it in is to stop the client, create another shortcut to the exe with just "-send all" at the end of the target string. You can keep running it until it completes with the successfully transmitted and thank you for your contribution messages.

If you open task mgr networking you can watch its attempts to xmit the wu. On my adsl, uploads will never get any higher that .6 % utilization over my 100 mb connection to my router.

If it doesn't get uploaded before you get tired of the send all, just restart cleint normally ... it will retry sending the queued wu in every 6 hours.

It is disheartening when that first big wu doesn't show up for credit right away. With all the new beta launches, increase in bandwidth with smp, and huge numver of new ps3 cleint, stanfords infrastructure has been having its challenges.

We just need to be patient with them at times.

Try not to let that completed wu sit on your rig too long ... the deadlines are short 3-5 days and i would hate to see you miss the deadline with your first one and not get any points for it.

/edit ... when you configured the client did you say yes to allow >5 MB work units question? This needs to be yes for the smp client (stanford should have made it the default for the beta!).

Last edited by pscout; April 13, 2007 at 07:43 AM.
Old April 13, 2007, 08:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks again for the very comprehensive response as always, pscout! I think I've missed the deadline today- it looks like there's just no way I'm going to be able to submit these big wu's with my connection- it's only 26.6kbps maximum- I don't have high-speed available to me where I live.
Old April 13, 2007, 08:18 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Thanks again for the very comprehensive response as always, pscout! I think I've missed the deadline today- it looks like there's just no way I'm going to be able to submit these big wu's with my connection- it's only 26.6kbps maximum- I don't have high-speed available to me where I live.
I would suggest running 2 single core instances then ... all you need to do is have 2 sepearte directories fro the instances, and on the second one configure it (in the advanced settings) to machineid=2 ... the first instance will default to machineid =1.

You may want to try one instance with bigpackets=no and one =yes. The single core wu's are a lot smaller than the smp wus so big may work ok for you. Some of the juicier (ie big ppd producers on c2d) wu's you only get if you have largewus set. If it is a problem, just turn it off.

/edit What stanford id id are you using to fold under ... the same as your id here?

Last edited by pscout; April 13, 2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old April 13, 2007, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No- it's pipistrelle
Old April 15, 2007, 01:26 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
No- it's pipistrelle
Hopefully you can get a standard wu submitted soon under that id so i can match it