Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 30, 2016, 06:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Ok , what's the deal ?

We are down to 15 users on folding.

Politics aside I still think folding is a worthwhile cause.

Why are we losing folders ?

------

The 15 of us are maintaining quite nicely tho.Really good work !!

Can we have some help ?

Old May 30, 2016, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think one of the motives is the fact that in order to make some points to really count on the map you need to get the latest hardware. Gone are the days when you were doing 70k ppd with 3 gtx 9800s. Plus the poor core optimization, because they need to maintain compatibility! Bigadv that was the darling of the Fah got moved to requirements that necessitates near server farm processing power. 48 threads? Really? The mobo for a quad cpu system was like 900$ not to mention the cpus after that and a gargantuan case required for that. Ok they moved to gpu folding, fine. There is a lot of blaming thrown around to whom belongs the fault of not having the newest hardware ready for folding right away, is it the people creating the cores, is it the hardware companies? Not to mention the babysitting you need to do for a folding system. God forbids that it runs smoothly more than 2 days in a row. Remember how much time it took for the Maxwell cards to fold smoothly? And the Keplers before that? Let's see how much time will take now for the Pascals to run at full tilt! And a bit more organization from Pande group would be nice as well : i mean i am struggling to get the latest hardware, reward me by getting me yhe WUs that run best on my hardware, and by best i mean most efficient! Why do i bother getting a Maxwell card and then be punished by getting the 762x WUs that will turn that card into a furnace? I think the latest nail in the coffin was Dr Pande's association with that investing group to mine the data resulted from folding. All of a sudden the contributors felt betrayed by the conflict of interest and by Dr Pande's attitude maintaining that there is no such conflict. So these are a few things that gathered over the years. Personally i am in hospital since January but even if i would be home i would say that my Folding days are over.
Old May 30, 2016, 09:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
I think one of the motives is the fact that in order to make some points to really count on the map you need to get the latest hardware. Gone are the days when you were doing 70k ppd with 3 gtx 9800s. Plus the poor core optimization, because they need to maintain compatibility! Bigadv that was the darling of the Fah got moved to requirements that necessitates near server farm processing power. 48 threads? Really? The mobo for a quad cpu system was like 900$ not to mention the cpus after that and a gargantuan case required for that. Ok they moved to gpu folding, fine. There is a lot of blaming thrown around to whom belongs the fault of not having the newest hardware ready for folding right away, is it the people creating the cores, is it the hardware companies? Not to mention the babysitting you need to do for a folding system. God forbids that it runs smoothly more than 2 days in a row. Remember how much time it took for the Maxwell cards to fold smoothly? And the Keplers before that? Let's see how much time will take now for the Pascals to run at full tilt! And a bit more organization from Pande group would be nice as well : i mean i am struggling to get the latest hardware, reward me by getting me yhe WUs that run best on my hardware, and by best i mean most efficient! Why do i bother getting a Maxwell card and then be punished by getting the 762x WUs that will turn that card into a furnace? I think the latest nail in the coffin was Dr Pande's association with that investing group to mine the data resulted from folding. All of a sudden the contributors felt betrayed by the conflict of interest and by Dr Pande's attitude maintaining that there is no such conflict. So these are a few things that gathered over the years. Personally i am in hospital since January but even if i would be home i would say that my Folding days are over.
that is pretty much why I don't bother any more.
Old May 31, 2016, 04:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
We are down to 15 users on folding.

Politics aside I still think folding is a worthwhile cause.

Why are we losing folders ?

------

The 15 of us are maintaining quite nicely tho.Really good work !!

Can we have some help ?

Old May 31, 2016, 08:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Currently on air = no folding. When I get my w.c. loop set up I'll be back.
Old May 31, 2016, 04:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

I get that.I've got a rig offline because of heat.

Don't worry , we will keep the lights on !

------

MARSTG :

I know all that political crap about the data mining.I actually think that's a good thing.(the data mining).
The more people lookin at the data we generate the better no ?
....And the hardware thing ; it's always been like that.

Get well , come back and fold for us.

-----

Old June 1, 2016, 02:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Too much hardware got switched around, did not have desire to keep up to optimize folding. Also, work out of town, can't monitor rigs and when I get home I have stuff to do! I do not sit around computer much any more, maybe when I retire.........

sooo...what is the hot setup nowadays??...

Last edited by stoanee; June 1, 2016 at 03:46 AM.
Old June 1, 2016, 04:45 AM
Top Prospect

Hm, I just got my rig setup; R290 and an i5. Is it worth it?
Old June 1, 2016, 05:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Too much heat with that. I think best performance/$ right now are the GM200 cards. My 980ti was doing 700k ppd on specific WUs but most of the time was like 500k ppd. Stock clocks.
Old June 1, 2016, 05:16 AM
Top Prospect

It's all watercooled; Aside from the room turning into a furnace, I'm not sure heat would be an issue. Are those numbers good? What could I expect?