Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 4, 2008, 09:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

A quick note to you fellow Boinc'ers/FaH'ers.

My contributions over the next few weeks will be sporadic at best. I've got a houseful of visiting kids too fascinated with my computer to leave it on, then I'm gone on my honeymoon for a couple of weeks. I don't feel comfortable leaving the system on unattended for that long in case of a PSU fry/short, not that it is very likely with my PCP&C.

But I'll be back contributing as normal after July 26. Unless I decide to stay in Mexico.

Cheers,
Gord
Old July 4, 2008, 09:18 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Getting married, Gord? Well, congratz! And enjoy the honeymoon. Don't worry about folding, we have a few new members that can handle your ppd while you're away.

John
Old July 5, 2008, 05:38 AM
Allstar
F@H

oh great! more pressure.
Old July 5, 2008, 11:10 AM
MVP
F@H

@SugarJ, Congratulations on the marriage!

@Anyone,

I'm pretty much leaving my rig on 24/7 for the crunching but I have 2 other computers in the house (2 different owners). I think I can get them to allow me to Boinc on them too. Problem is they turn their 'puters on and off regularly.

Is there a way to have it so that Boinc starts up and shuts down automatically without them having to do anything, and it not foul up the tasks? I've seen mention of running it as a service, I understand this will start it automatically but will it stop/pause the program when they shut down so that it will just continue on it's merry way from where it left off when they start up again?

If so how do you get it to run as a service?

I need this to be as easy and unobtrusive for them as possible as they are really not that computer literate or patient to be honest. They basically just do e-mail, facebook, scrabble and surf a bit. So much CPU cycles a waisting! Must get them Boincing! That sounds dirtier than it should.

I'm crashing now but will check back tonight to see if anyone has an explanation or link to help me out. Thanks in advance,
FreqE1 (Rob)
Old July 6, 2008, 03:52 AM
Allstar
F@H

one of the options when you install is to run as a service, just choose that one.
Old July 6, 2008, 05:47 AM
MVP
F@H

Cool, thanks DK2.

On my machine it starts up with the rest of my computer but I must have missed where I got to choose the option because all I remember is OKing the install.

When I did shut down my rig I suspended each task first. Does this mean I don't have to do that? I could just shut down like normal and it will pause the tasks and take up where it left off when the computer is restarted?

If this is right I'm sure I can convince my roomates to let me commendeer their computers too. Won't get the same PPD as my rig but it will add to my PPD. The more the better.
Old July 6, 2008, 06:27 AM
Allstar
F@H

As I understand it, as a service it will startup where it left off.
Just do it, and confirm for us.
Old July 6, 2008, 09:33 AM
MVP
F@H

Well I can confirm that it starts up where you left off because I just had to shut down unexpectedly after a failed Daiblo 2 install...Also if your roommates are running Vista it won't go so smoothly for them, unless I have something setup incorrectly. When Vista loads it blocks Boinc, but unlike other programs that it blocks where it gives you an "allow" or "cancel" dialog, you actually have to right click the little icon in the taskbar, and choose to unblock it. There probably is a way to let Vista allow it every time or make an exception, but I still haven't figured out how to do it. The same thing happens with Precision, the EVGA overclocking tool, but at least that just gives me a simple allow or cancel dialog. Maybe next time I reboot it will give me that option. I'll try again and keep you posted.

EDIT: So I just rebooted again and I did have to go through the same procedure again to get Boinc running. Right click the blocked program icon in the taskbar, choose unblock a program, choose boinc, then you get the allow or continue dialog. After that you are good to go. Hopefully your roommates are running XP so they don't have to deal with it! Anybody know of a way to add boinc, and other programs I guess, to an exception list on startup?

WC Loop: D-Tek Fuzion V2 // Danger Den Maze 5 // Swiftech MCP655 // Swiftech MicroRes // Thermochill PA 120.2 + 4 x Noctua NF-P12

Last edited by Mibs; July 6, 2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old July 6, 2008, 12:12 PM
MVP
F@H

I have this running on Vista 64 Home and just tried shutting down and restarting without suspending the tasks. It just picked up where it left off without having to do a thing myself.

I have UAC shut off. I Couldn't stand it and shut it off as soon as I loaded Vista Could that be what is stopping it for you Mibs?

My roomates both had me switch their HP Vista machines over to XP so hopefully it works as well for me this time. I'll pay more attantion this time as it installs.
Old July 6, 2008, 07:07 PM
MVP
F@H

Yeah its UAC that is stopping me. I should probably turn that off too, it is bloody annoying.

WC Loop: D-Tek Fuzion V2 // Danger Den Maze 5 // Swiftech MCP655 // Swiftech MicroRes // Thermochill PA 120.2 + 4 x Noctua NF-P12

Tags
boinc , folding , rosetta