Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13, 2008, 08:20 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, BOINC has that option to run as a Service. Never tried it myself though.
Old June 13, 2008, 09:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It works well for me, starts up automatically on boot.
Old June 13, 2008, 09:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm really liking this BIONC- I can't beleive tha Stanford is so far behind on user friendliness. I'm only able to fold when I'm home on weekends, but it's so stable and even works on dialup connection without a problem.
Old June 13, 2008, 10:08 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

yes I have my wifes pc on service so it starts automatically and I've shown her how to pause it when she plays Oblivion lol
funny thing is she forgot to pause it yesterday and ran Oblivion without a hitch on the E6300 while folding
Old June 13, 2008, 11:13 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

is there a way i can login, load and connect to Boinc as soon as my pc boots? or do i have to continually login and attach to a project each time.
atm, i'm running it when i'm on the pc, or nearby. not running 24/7?

sorry, i just read the above replies. so how do i set it up as a service and autoconnect to a project?

Last edited by Unklmo; June 13, 2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old June 13, 2008, 11:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklmo View Post
is there a way i can login, load and connect to Boinc as soon as my pc boots? or do i have to continually login and attach to a project each time.
atm, i'm running it when i'm on the pc, or nearby. not running 24/7?
Sounds like you don't have it set up to run as a service. I'm pretty sure mine runs even when I'm not logged on.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 13, 2008, 11:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklmo View Post
sorry, i just read the above replies. so how do i set it up as a service and autoconnect to a project?
Just re-install over current installation, you won't even lose the projects your working on.

While it is more user-friendly, I've forgotten to pause it while playing Mass Effect, which usually ends up causing the game to crash. I think that's because I've got it set to run all the time, instead of waiting for system idle for 3 minutes.
Old June 13, 2008, 11:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Just came across this article on TGDaily, saying a Nvidia GPU client will be released next week. Says the GPU client can simulate up to 650ns per day (I's sure that's on the GT280) while a typical quad does around 4ns. Imagine your PPD now! So we can run FaH on our GPU's, and Boinc on the CPU's.

TG Daily - Nvidia and Stanford finalizing Folding@Home client for GeForce GPUs
Old June 13, 2008, 01:11 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
yes I have my wifes pc on service so it starts automatically and I've shown her how to pause it when she plays Oblivion lol
funny thing is she forgot to pause it yesterday and ran Oblivion without a hitch on the E6300 while folding
You probably have set the preferences to run the tasks only when computer is idle.

I hope BOINC will fix the screensaver bug soon for "On resume, password protect".
Old June 14, 2008, 12:39 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Just came across this article on TGDaily, saying a Nvidia GPU client will be released next week. Says the GPU client can simulate up to 650ns per day (I's sure that's on the GT280) while a typical quad does around 4ns. Imagine your PPD now! So we can run FaH on our GPU's, and Boinc on the CPU's.

TG Daily - Nvidia and Stanford finalizing Folding@Home client for GeForce GPUs
OMG that is simply smokin

Tags
boinc , folding , rosetta