Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2014, 07:02 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Please excuse my lack of knowledge in folding. I have read this and am not totally understanding. So...as of May you need 24 cores to keep folding BA, and then in 2015 its done for? I feel I am not getting it. Can't your rigs still be used for other folding? Help a non-folder get the big picture please.
Doing regular folding produces like 1/4 or less ppd. It just doesn't make financial sense.
Old January 21, 2014, 06:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Doing regular folding produces like 1/4 or less ppd. It just doesn't make financial sense.
That was the key point I was missing. Thanks. I completely understand the disappointment then.

I wonder if there will be anything similar created in place of bigadv as its time comes to a close.

It would be nice if the efficiency of regular folding could be improved based on what bigadv did IOT keep people helping the cause.

Last edited by Bond007; January 21, 2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old January 21, 2014, 06:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

This is one of those threads that just goes to prove there are people more into folding for the pure aspect of PPD gains than actual research for a cause :(
Old January 21, 2014, 08:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not necessarily. Points are used by Pande Group as the unit of measurement for scientific production. If your rig is working on projects that produce fewer points, then it follows that your rig is producing less science.

When BA goes away, folding will become a lot like mining - it just won't make much sense to use CPUs for it anymore due to their lower cost/production and power/production ratios. But that's just the foreseeable future - perhaps new projects will emerge again one day that are more efficient on CPU.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old January 21, 2014, 08:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
Not necessarily. Points are used by Pande Group as the unit of measurement for scientific production. If your rig is working on projects that produce fewer points, then it follows that your rig is producing less science.

When BA goes away, folding will become a lot like mining - it just won't make much sense to use CPUs for it anymore due to their lower cost/production and power/production ratios. But that's just the foreseeable future - perhaps new projects will emerge again one day that are more efficient on CPU.
that is the main reason why I don't fold the cot and the heat produced outweghs the production.
I hope that they figure out another way so that the use of CPU will be more balanced once again.
Old January 21, 2014, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
This is one of those threads that just goes to prove there are people more into folding for the pure aspect of PPD gains than actual research for a cause :(
Captains Log : stardate 01:21:2014.

Ok , you asked for it.

It's 100 % about the effing points.That's ALL we get.

Every person on this team throws cash into a hole for folding.I've spent 10's of thousands of dollars on folding , I assure you I read the research papers.

Fire up YOUR hardware !

Old January 22, 2014, 10:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

So once this ends we will see alot of old servers on market :-D
Old January 23, 2014, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post
So once this ends we will see alot of old servers on market :-D
and 4P rigs! and high end cpus! then is gonna be the time to get some good prices on those.