Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2013, 07:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm, I think it would be far cheaper to run some older XBOX360's instead. I imagine you can pick those up for less than the cost of a space heater even
Old November 12, 2013, 07:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Hmm, I think it would be far cheaper to run some older XBOX360's instead. I imagine you can pick those up for less than the cost of a space heater even
Huh. Thats funny. I didnt think a red LED would create much heat, cause thats all Ive seen work on most XBOX's
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old November 13, 2013, 07:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Huh. Thats funny. I didnt think a red LED would create much heat, cause thats all Ive seen work on most XBOX's
If I remember correctly, doesn't it still put out heat even in RROD state? I swear I remember wrapping up my RROD'ing 360 in towels to make it purposely overheat to fix it...
Old November 13, 2013, 08:09 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_H View Post
lowfat, I wish it was that warm here. It was -21 the other night, and -11 this morning. Gotta love the prairies. That's ok though, I just added a GTX 770 to the mix as an upgrade to my gaming rig. Everything else is up and running keeping my basement nice and toasty. Makes the hardwood upstairs nice and warm too.
I locked myself out of my house and vehicle the other night. It was -20C and all I was wearing was a fall jacket. It is full blown winter up here already.
Old November 20, 2013, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I will be resuming folding soon and I'll let you know what change I see in my electric bill as all of November has been cold enough outside that my heating should have kicked in a few times then I can see what I get for a bill in December.
Old November 20, 2013, 03:47 PM

My System Specs

Folding w/ my system 24/7 would add $30 to my monthly bill. That is just w/ a single highly overclocked GTX780. I keep the register closed off in my bedroom and the computer provides all the heat I need.
Old November 20, 2013, 11:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A single GTX 680 was costing me around $27/mo in the summer (that was on a i7-930 @ 3.8 Ghz with the power saving features enabled). I'm more curious now with the heat in my place being *electric* baseboards if it'll cost me less per month by offsetting the electricity used for heating.
Old November 21, 2013, 05:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Weeelp, time to get back into the fold, I think.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old November 21, 2013, 05:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
A single GTX 680 was costing me around $27/mo in the summer (that was on a i7-930 @ 3.8 Ghz with the power saving features enabled). I'm more curious now with the heat in my place being *electric* baseboards if it'll cost me less per month by offsetting the electricity used for heating.
No. Watts are watts, regardless how they are being used. Well, thats not entirely true, since work can go elsewhere (revolving a motor for example). But in the case of electronics, the 'work' computers do is put out in heat, not mechanical motion. So if you're burning 500w in your PC, thats the same as a 500w baseboard heater, minus some inconsistencies like fans spinning and hard drive platters turning... Arnt Physics awesome?!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old November 21, 2013, 08:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, I live in an apartment, so I already get ambient heat from the building & an electric baseboard is *slightly* more energy efficient than a computer because it is only producing heat, where the computer is doing a few tiny other by-products (but minor as you point out). I'd expect my folding to cause an overall increase in my electric bill, but nowhere near the $27 I got in the summer/spring.