Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Client not sending WU (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/63701-client-not-sending-wu.html)

MARSTG October 20, 2013 05:47 PM

Client not sending WU

I have an issue with my GPU folding client : sometimes when the WU is almost finished, it will stay at 99.99% completed, there are 4 seconds left, but the WU is not sent. Card is a Radeon HD 7850. Stopping the folding and restarting the PC does not solve the issue. Any ideas? So far the only way to make it work is to remove the gpu slot and re-add it again, but in this way I loose my processed WU.

lowfat October 20, 2013 05:52 PM

The server could always be down. How long has this been happening?

MARSTG October 20, 2013 06:01 PM

Today is the second time it has happened. I removed the client for a few hours this afternoon, and re add it, and it downloaded a WU right away.

Adak October 23, 2013 09:28 PM

What version of the folding client are you using, and what driver number for your card?

Does this happen with several types of work projects, or is it always the same work project number?

I vaguely remember this being an issue some time back. I don't fold with gpu's currently, but there was a software problem. I thought it was fixed, but maybe not.

I'll check the folding forum.

Some ATI drivers/cards have had problems with regular wu's. The suggestion from folding forum is that you switch the slot over to advanced wu's.
Quote:

Then add the GPU Slot option: client-type with the setting: advanced and see how that works on core_17 WUs.

MARSTG October 24, 2013 03:49 PM

Client version is 7.3.6 driver is CCC 13.9.
Always the same WU, 8900.

10e October 25, 2013 11:48 AM

I have the same issue with a DC2 7970 and the card is 10000% rock solid at the 1100mhz I'm running it at. Every 2-3 days I get this exact issue. Some have said that the folding@home client should get restarted every 36 hours or so. I'm going to set up a script to do this. I'm running 13.10

MARSTG October 25, 2013 02:48 PM

My card is also Asus.

Tim_H October 25, 2013 06:28 PM

Hmm, interesting. In the past I had an issue with an Asus card as well. System restart required at all? That should have fixed it as well. The Asus that I was working with before was a Nvidia card though.

Adak October 25, 2013 11:01 PM

On the folding forum, I found several posts pointing to the problem being in the project 8900, which goes across multiple runs and generations of wu's, and all cards are affected.

In your log, you might see something similar to this:
Quote:

14:47:53:WU03:FS02:Trying to send results to collection server
14:47:53:WU03:FS02:Uploading 72.13MiB to 171.65.103.160
The error is in the size of the wu that is trying to be returned - 72.13MB is WAY too big, and the server will not accept them.

This has been a troublesome project, going back at least as far as June. Their advice is to delete this wu.

They say some drivers have had to be updated for this project, but that only affects some gpu folders, and the wu isn't sized improperly.