Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2013, 10:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Why do they change

I don't understand something aboutr folding and that is why would they change the way things are like why change say graphics card do great folding then they rewrote the program so that servers ( some servers) get great numbers using the big advantage then back to graphics cards why would they keep changing when all that should matter is the end result why not have all of the programing for servers graphics cards or what ever . it doesn't make sense to me.
you would think that the only thing that would matter is the jobs getting done quicker so why would they keep changing it why not just have different program or what ever it is called to get the best results from which ever hard ware the person is using.
if I was a total conspiracy person I would think that maybe just maybe they have some type of deal with the hardware companies so thatpeople keep getting the newest hardware but that would be if I was a total conspiracy person, I am not I just am trying to figure out the logic
Old October 11, 2013, 04:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The point system reflects a mix between balancing "the more you put in, the more you get for points" and whatever they currently need most. Fast turn around time is important, specific folding is important, etc... They do not consider the "cost benefit ratio" of people buying/using hardware to complete WU. I do not know exactly why some WU require to be run on 12+ core CPUs and get rewarded higher with a QRB, but I guess it doesn't work for them to have slow returns and it holds up something else down the line?

I would agree that many people find themselves chasing hardware for folding the same way you might chase hardware to play max settings on the latest and greatest game.
Old October 11, 2013, 06:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wished that they had both the older way wu get done and the new way becasue the same amount of wu are being done in both cases
Old October 12, 2013, 01:29 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Maybe not. If you are once persuaded to buy 12 cores monster, I bet that the total WU output will significaly increase :)
So maybe this is just a way to push people for faster HW?

Not much guys use slow HW, that is plainly visible for example from the HWbot achievements for low scores:

Old October 12, 2013, 09:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well just before they changed the bigadv I was using my 2p 6128 opterons which where a total of 16 cores running a 2ghz then for some reason they changed the whole system I am just wondering why they would not just still have both the older way and the newer way just as long a large amount of WUs get done.
Old October 14, 2013, 05:32 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

This is Folding.
This is Vijay's way.

I also once owned a farm which consisted for 3 Intel 6600s, oc'ed to 3.6Ghz (not without difficulty). All running 'nix for maximum points production.
6k ppd was the maximum at the time, per rig. Many of us were gunnin' for the Team's top spot with similar hardware.
I once owned GPU farms when 9800GX2s were the top. 40k ppd was obtained with that hardware.
I once owned - trice, actually - 48 and 64-core servers. 200-250k ppd is achievable, still today.
Now, a single 780 can produce the same ppd, with less power and noise. And a whole lot cheaper.

Which era I enjoyed the most? 6600s, hands down. You had to work to manage such points. Those days were actually the ones I enjoyed folding the most.
This is why I do not fold anymore. And Prof. Pande knows personally why.

If you want slow and steady, no changes, try crunching instead...
Old October 14, 2013, 06:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
This is Folding.
This is Vijay's way.

I also once owned a farm which consisted for 3 Intel 6600s, oc'ed to 3.6Ghz (not without difficulty). All running 'nix for maximum points production.
6k ppd was the maximum at the time, per rig. Many of us were gunnin' for the Team's top spot with similar hardware.
I once owned GPU farms when 9800GX2s were the top. 40k ppd was obtained with that hardware.
I once owned - trice, actually - 48 and 64-core servers. 200-250k ppd is achievable, still today.
Now, a single 780 can produce the same ppd, with less power and noise. And a whole lot cheaper.

Which era I enjoyed the most? 6600s, hands down. You had to work to manage such points. Those days were actually the ones I enjoyed folding the most.
This is why I do not fold anymore. And Prof. Pande knows personally why.

If you want slow and steady, no changes, try crunching instead...
ya that is kind of the reason why I might stop and I still have those to es 6234 chips that don't get along with this asus board . if those chips worked I probably would OC those chips and fold
Old October 15, 2013, 04:20 PM
Top Prospect

Part of it that he wants to keep FAH out on the leading edge. Many groups are folding now. Constantly moving on, keeps him getting more buzz, and more papers submitted, and more grants and work from diverse groups wanting research that ONLY FAH can do at present, in a short amount of time, at a reasonable price.