Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2013, 01:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default folding with 560ti sli how much stress ?

I picked up a second 560ti and I am never folded using video cards so I am wondering how much stress the cards would be under if I started to fold with them on my main pc . I guess what I am asking is while I am folding whjat would I " not" be able to do smoothly?
Old August 24, 2013, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

mostly video would be playing with interruptions, small enough to be annoying. What I noticed, only the high end parts have the muscle to spare to do something else while folding, like the GTX580 for example, or the GTX 760, more recently.
Old August 24, 2013, 09:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It depends on the work units that are being processed. Earlier this year I was receiving WU's that would cause even my GTX680 to lag severly while doing even basic desktop functions. Lately (the last few months) work units seem to be slightly less strenuous, to the point where on both my SLI660's and my GTX770 and can perform most tasks without pausing my folding. Gaming (or other graphically intensive tasks) would obviously be the exception to this. You would definitely want to pause your client in that case.

If you find that light computer use is an issue while folding with your SLI560Ti's and you're using the newest V7, just set the client to 'medium'. It will pause the GPU folding when the computer is being used, and continue it when your computer goes idle.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old August 27, 2013, 09:01 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
It depends on the work units that are being processed. Earlier this year I was receiving WU's that would cause even my GTX680 to lag severly while doing even basic desktop functions. Lately (the last few months) work units seem to be slightly less strenuous, to the point where on both my SLI660's and my GTX770 and can perform most tasks without pausing my folding. Gaming (or other graphically intensive tasks) would obviously be the exception to this. You would definitely want to pause your client in that case.

If you find that light computer use is an issue while folding with your SLI560Ti's and you're using the newest V7, just set the client to 'medium'. It will pause the GPU folding when the computer is being used, and continue it when your computer goes idle.

GBA I noticed you are folding with GTX 770 and a 680. How do they compare for PPD? Also are there any numbers out there for the GTX 780's? Just wondering about an upgrade for the GPU's I have. Thinking I may try to unload the 560's 570 and 580's. Also wondering about the titans, not that I would purchase one, but question the PPD vs the 780's.

p://www.hardfolding.com/fhtag.php/mem/7984290/26/1.png[/IMG][/url]
Old August 27, 2013, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was folding with a 680 earlier in the year. I have since sold that card. I can speak for the 770. Depending on WU, it will do anywhere from 90K PPD to 140K PPD. Mostly, it seems to do about 135-140K PPD, and that is at stock clocks.

Honestly, if you're going to be buying GPU's purely for folding, consider getting 2x GTX660's. I had two of those cards, and combined they pumped out about 160K PPD, for about a 2/3 the cost of a single 770. For the price of a 770 you could probably get 3x GTX660's, and start pumping out 240K PPD...as long as you have the PCI slots and powersupply (an 850W should be more than enough for 3x GTX660's.) Keep in mind, you can't SLI together 3x 660's, but they don't need to be linked together for folding purposes anyways.

if you're going to be gaming, then disregard my previous statement.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old September 20, 2013, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hmm I installed fah fired it up but I cannot figure out how to config it it brought up a page where all my info goes into but it shows my cpu3 folding and not either of my card because they are not idle , how do I config this windows version to only use my vid cards and not when idle?

EDIT
ok I guess that it needed to sit for a while the video cards are working but so is the cpu which I don't want I just want the gpus.
it is strange how each card is doing a separate project I would have thought that they would be doing the same one wholey crap these cards get wat to hot 92 c I can't fold with these grrr.

Last edited by Shadowmeph; September 20, 2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old September 21, 2013, 06:37 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

EDIT
ok I guess that it needed to sit for a while the video cards are working but so is the cpu which I don't want I just want the gpus.
it is strange how each card is doing a separate project I would have thought that they would be doing the same one wholey crap these cards get wat to hot 92 c I can't fold with these grrr.[/QUOTE]

Just my 2CW. The cards do take on individual WU's. Also you need to configure the client as you want.
Go to the Advanced control panel. Click on the configure tab, top 4th from the left. Under here (configure tab) you will find7 tabs click on the slots tab, 3rd from left top. Here you will see your cpu and gpu/s. at the bottom right of the panel is the add/remove/edit tabs. Here you can remove a slot or add a slot or edit a slot. Once you decide how to proceed click save. Hope that helps.
Next you mentioned heat as a issue. Yes it is on the older cards. I myself have a case that has a mesh side panel. I have 4 high CFM fans blowing air across my video cards. I also have a case with multiple fans for air flow. These GPUS run 24/7 at about 60 cel. Now 92 is hot and I would inspect the cards for dust, or a faulty fan. I have had many a dual or triple fan card overheat and die. This is due to inadequate cooling. If the fan is suspect take it back, or rma it. Also if you are going to fold with GPUS then make sure you take out an IPR or buy cards with strong support. Your tag does not show where you are but most retailers will offer decent warranties on cards as long as you don't break them.
Also remember folding does not go idle when you are active on PC, you have to idle it manually. It is not like seti or some of the other BOINC apps.

Hope that helps a bit shadow!

Old September 21, 2013, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the thing is I can only access the folding client via web browser and it doesn't have any of the advanced tabs
Old September 21, 2013, 09:57 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
the thing is I can only access the folding client via web browser and it doesn't have any of the advanced tabs
Ok I have some pictures hope this helps you. I assume you are running in windows, ???? maybe not but for win7 this is how I get to client advanced control window. I don't use the web based client.

fah1 shows the icon at bottom of my screen, right clic on it to get tabs with options. F@H icon
fah2 shows the tab "advanced control" hi-lighted clic on it
fah3 shows advanced control open and the configure button at top.

hope this helps..
Attached Images

Old September 21, 2013, 10:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

my client doesn't have a gui and I cannot seem to find the download anywhere.
hmm ok so I found the xmlconfig file and deleted the slot 2 cpu line and reloaded fah and so now it is showing just the gpus ,.
Now I need to figure out why both gpus are doing separate projects

Oh wow I just found the client control in the fah folder l,ol why in the hell wouldn't it make a desktop short cut when it installed lol

Last edited by Shadowmeph; September 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM.