Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old August 24, 2013, 10:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,520

My System Specs

Default F@h 2P socket G34 platform

Sparked by the fact that I have seen some very cheap Half SSI 2P socket G34 Asus motherboards on ebay, in Canada I did a bit of research on the subject and I will share the findings with you, if you are interested might spare you a lot of research.
All the research was done in the hope of finding a cheaper -bigadv platform.

The model in question, Asus KGNH-D16 ( ebay item no 271261018655 ) is used in some of their 1U servers, and the good part is that they cost 135$ shipped, in Canada. The condition of the board is new, but is old stock, never used. The not so nice part is that they require a proprietary PSU as the power connectors have a different pinout than regular ones. After a lot of digging, I found out that it requires a 700W PSU with proprietary connectors, model DELTA/DPS-770CB, that is cheapest to come by from the Asus estore. It costs 218$ but is a 80 Plus Gold PSU.
In order to have a chance of finishing those -bigadv units in time I would suggest getting ahold of the dodeca-cores CPUs, the 12 core 6174 is around 200$ on ebay like item no 350782183043. Shadowmeph told me the ES socket G34 CPUs don`t play well on the Asus mobos, you will need Supermicro for that. The cheapest Supermicro that I could find is 375$ at Wiredzone.com and Dead Things has some very nice priced ES CPUs that will work on that mobo, that also accepts regular Desktop PSUs. Now reconsidering the expenses, I think the Supermicro would be a better option, it is EATX standard and can easily fit into a larger case or an EATX server chasis, and if no new PSU is to be bought, reutilizing an existing one will cut in the costs. Adequate cooling could be done with a Noctua or Dynatron, the Noctua being way quieter.
So all in all this would be a 1000$ setup. I think you can get cheaper if you go the SR2 way, the hex cores xeons are very cheap sometimes on ebay (item no 121162690124 )and they overclock well.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old August 24, 2013, 10:09 PM
akira749's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Donnacona, QC
Posts: 376

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
Sparked by the fact that I have seen some very cheap Half SSI 2P socket G34 Asus motherboards on ebay, in Canada I did a bit of research on the subject and I will share the findings with you, if you are interested might spare you a lot of research.
All the research was done in the hope of finding a cheaper -bigadv platform.

The model in question, Asus KGNH-D16 ( ebay item no 271261018655 ) is used in some of their 1U servers, and the good part is that they cost 135$ shipped, in Canada. The condition of the board is new, but is old stock, never used. The not so nice part is that they require a proprietary PSU as the power connectors have a different pinout than regular ones. After a lot of digging, I found out that it requires a 700W PSU with proprietary connectors, model DELTA/DPS-770CB, that is cheapest to come by from the Asus estore. It costs 218$ but is a 80 Plus Gold PSU.
In order to have a chance of finishing those -bigadv units in time I would suggest getting ahold of the dodeca-cores CPUs, the 12 core 6174 is around 200$ on ebay like item no 350782183043. Shadowmeph told me the ES socket G34 CPUs don`t play well on the Asus mobos, you will need Supermicro for that. The cheapest Supermicro that I could find is 375$ at Wiredzone.com and Dead Things has some very nice priced ES CPUs that will work on that mobo, that also accepts regular Desktop PSUs. Now reconsidering the expenses, I think the Supermicro would be a better option, it is EATX standard and can easily fit into a larger case or an EATX server chasis, and if no new PSU is to be bought, reutilizing an existing one will cut in the costs. Adequate cooling could be done with a Noctua or Dynatron, the Noctua being way quieter.
So all in all this would be a 1000$ setup. I think you can get cheaper if you go the SR2 way, the hex cores xeons are very cheap sometimes on ebay (item no 121162690124 )and they overclock well.
Thanks for that info!

Since I'm kinda sad about the performances of my second folding rig and from the moment you started talking about a possible 4p rig on your behalf I was starting to think about selling some part or the whole thing and go this way but I was feeling cheap by the fact that I was kinda copying what you were doing....that new "avenue" could be nice and not too much of a copycat from you....the only thing I'd like to find is the kind of PPD I could reach with a supermicro board and some Dead Things CPU (I've looked at them very often)...
__________________

Folding Build 1 : White Asylum (Case Labs SM8)
Folding Build 2 : Ergo Proxy (Case Labs SMH10)
Folding Build 3 : Hurrikaine (Case Labs S8)
Gaming Build : Alexstrasza’s Shrine (Case Labs S5)
Work In Progress : Xenomorph (Parvum S2.0)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old August 25, 2013, 06:25 AM
3.0charlie's Avatar
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Laval, QC
Posts: 9,643

My System Specs

Default

From previous experience: 200k-300k ppd, depending on the WU. That's based on twin 4Ps I once had - a SM with 6174s, and a Tyan with 6272s. If you want the largest ROI, go for max cores AND native Linux. Using a VM defeats the purpose. You cannot game with such a rig, and it is serious hardware overkill in regards to server / storage needs.

But for ppd/watts, nothing can beat them boards. Now, ppd/$ is another story with the latest Clients and Cores - 780s and 7970s are putting some serious numbers. Slap 3 of those puppies on a P6X58-E WS or 4 on a P9X79-E WS, and let them rip through WUs...Downside is power consumption, and heat. For an established budget of 1.5K-2k$, you now have the opportunity of either CPU or GPU folding, with some very high ppd in the end...

Edit: dammit. I have on hand 5 6128s, 2 6272s, a 1KW PSU, a RPC-470 mounted in the garage, 5 212+s, enough ram to fill every single slot in a 4P board, enough HDDs to sustain any failure rate... I must resist...

and thanks for the link, I snatched 2 L5639s for the SR2... ;-)
__________________
Hydro-Quebec is salivating...

Last edited by 3.0charlie; August 25, 2013 at 06:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old August 25, 2013, 06:46 AM
stoanee's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lacombe Alberta
Posts: 3,250

My System Specs

Default

Is there a suitable setup for linux folding with gpus? My SR-2 has many empty slots and I have never tried gpu folding on it.
__________________
heatware
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old August 25, 2013, 07:10 AM
3.0charlie's Avatar
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Laval, QC
Posts: 9,643

My System Specs

Default

I was about to reply that native 'nix GPU folding is a no-go, but then again... GPU Folding Natively in Linux Looks like it actually works.
__________________
Hydro-Quebec is salivating...
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old August 25, 2013, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,520

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira749 View Post
...and from the moment you started talking about a possible 4p rig on your behalf ..
Actually I am getting one, is on the way , is just that is going to be socket F and not G34, (waay cheaper) and might be at the limit of finishing -bigadv WU, at least 8101, might finish the others but not 8101, as the CPUs are Opteron 8384@2.7GHz. I installed Win Server 2008 this morning, that will do only SMP not big-adv, but I am fully aware of that, but I will go native Linux too with the Musky install guide at Hard OCP.

The guys at EVGA forums have a lot of info on the hand, a lot of guides and data too for the results, personally I think there is a lot of potential with just a 2P socket G34 but with the a pair of 6174s, as the first generation has 1FPU/core, so 24 cores at 2.2 GHz is a serious folding power. PPD/$ yes I agree GPUs are having their days again, but PPD/Watt I think 2P/4P setups that can complete -bigadv are still kings.
__________________

Last edited by MARSTG; August 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old August 25, 2013, 12:40 PM
Shadowmeph's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,367

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
Actually I am getting one, is on the way , is just that is going to be socket F and not G34, (waay cheaper) and might be at the limit of finishing -bigadv WU, at least 8101, might finish the others but not 8101, as the CPUs are Opteron 8384@2.7GHz. I installed Win Server 2008 this morning, that will do only SMP not big-adv, but I am fully aware of that, but I will go native Linux too with the Musky install guide at Hard OCP.

The guys at EVGA forums have a lot of info on the hand, a lot of guides and data too for the results, personally I think there is a lot of potential with just a 2P socket G34 but with the a pair of 6174s, as the first generation has 1FPU/core, so 24 cores at 2.2 GHz is a serious folding power. PPD/$ yes I agree GPUs are having their days again, but PPD/Watt I think 2P/4P setups that can complete -bigadv are still kings.
I actually was using the fah img which has the kraken installed on it ,Folding@Home - Native Folding Image - LinuxForge.net very simple to set up and you don't need to install a full linux distro
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old August 25, 2013, 01:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,520

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Is there a suitable setup for linux folding with gpus? My SR-2 has many empty slots and I have never tried gpu folding on it.
Why don`t you slap a VM in there and do SMP/-bigadv on the CPUs in Linux and continue Win folding for the GPUs?

For Shadowmeph : I think we are talking about the same guide but on different websites as this one also has all the twaking done, including the Kraken but on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old August 25, 2013, 01:45 PM
Shadowmeph's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,367

My System Specs

Default

ah yes but the inmg is only 58 mb that is the full install unlike any other Linux full distro which is a min 500 mb
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old August 25, 2013, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,520

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
dammit. I have on hand 5 6128s, 2 6272s, a 1KW PSU, a RPC-470 mounted in the garage, 5 212+s, enough ram to fill every single slot in a 4P board, enough HDDs to sustain any failure rate... I must resist...

and thanks for the link, I snatched 2 L5639s for the SR2... ;-)
Only the mobo is missing.

Let us know if the L5639 will complete bigadv in time.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
X58 Platform rjbarker Price Check 7 May 6, 2013 10:26 AM
socket G34 to replace AMx socket family techman95 Rumor Mill 5 January 20, 2012 06:10 PM
1156 Evga p55 FTW Socket Burn (Foxconn Socket) Myst88 CPU's and Motherboards 9 May 8, 2011 02:53 AM
New platform or not Jackquelegs Off Topic 2 May 6, 2010 10:27 PM
LF: Socket 462 (Socket A) Motherboard cb2222 Buy/Sell & Trade 1 October 3, 2008 03:19 PM