Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2, 2013, 09:32 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
GTX780s are ridiculously good at folding currently. I am not sure how long these WUs will be available but at the moment I am doing 315k w/ two cards.

PCIe bandwidth really doesn't matter with folding.

X79 is a power hog and the price definitely is not worth what you get from PPD out of the CPU, which in my case is about 25k from a 3930k @ 4.4GHz. If I didn't need the PCIe lanes for other purposes I would ditch X79 in a heartbeat.
Very interesting so the Z87 would be a good way with the new haswell? Or should I consider something older like X58?

Folding Build 1 : White Asylum (Case Labs SM8)
Folding Build 2 : Ergo Proxy (Case Labs SMH10)
Folding Build 3 : Hurrikaine (Case Labs S8)
Gaming Build : Alexstrasza’s Shrine (Case Labs S5)

Last edited by lowfat; June 2, 2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old June 2, 2013, 10:05 AM

My System Specs

Is power consumption a concern? Will you be gaming on it? What kind of budget are you looking at?
Old June 2, 2013, 11:29 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Is power consumption a concern? Will you be gaming on it? What kind of budget are you looking at?
Not that power consumption is a concern but at the same time I don't want Hydro-Quebec to come and put a power generator next to my house

The way I see folding is the possibility of medical breakthrough by giving computing ressources and my cost of doing this is paying a little more on my electrivity bill and of course on computer stuff

Like my current folding rig, this one would be dedicated to folding since I have another rig for gaming, work and daily surfing.

Regarding budget, I don't have one specifically but I have my limits :-) to give you an example I wouldn't put 4 watercooled titans in a rig since it would end up costing me over 7000$ once the build completed

Just to give you an idea my last build (the folding one in my sig) cost me around 4.5K and I can still sleep well every night

Old June 2, 2013, 12:28 PM

My System Specs

Then consider looking at a 2P or 4P multiprocessor AMD G34 machine. As far as I know they still are your best bet for high PPD.
Old June 2, 2013, 12:45 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I'd remove the '2P' from your sentence. 4P is the way to go with 4x Magny-Cours 6172s and up. Very little ram needed, 16x 1Gb are perfect for that, single HDD with Linux, 1Kw PSU for headroom (quality 750W can actually manage the load), 4x Noctua HSFs and you are set to go. 200k / 300k ppd @ 500/600W. No need for a GPU, use the onboard IPMI to load and setup the OS.

Been there, done that. Twice, actually... I should have kept that SM rig.
Old June 2, 2013, 05:05 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Well i'm not sure i'm ready for those monsters :)

But I will keep an eye open if something like that pops out someday

Old June 2, 2013, 05:46 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You'll get there eventually... I did. A member is selling his GB 990FX (5 PCIe slots) + an AMD 955 (perfect CPU overhead, 4 cores is plenty). Great platform for GPU folding.
Old June 3, 2013, 07:44 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
You'll get there eventually... I did. A member is selling his GB 990FX (5 PCIe slots) + an AMD 955 (perfect CPU overhead, 4 cores is plenty). Great platform for GPU folding.
Probably ;)

In the meantime, I just bought an Asus Rampage 3 Black Edition....all I have to find now is a decent CPU and some RAM

There's 4 PCIe lanes so a mix of CPU and multi GPU should give me some nice numbers

Old June 8, 2013, 04:40 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Wierd situation with my current Folding rig...

I have the V7 client installed on a Win7 OS

Since I started folding a few weeks now I had the client set to default for GPUs and the CPU set at 8 on cores.

Yesterday I decided to try something to see the difference. I have set the CPU to 6 to see if the GPUs could benefit at some point of the available cores. I also activate the CPU affinity locking. The result was my best day since I started folding the only wierd thing was that WUs for my CPU were small all day but short so it was not that bad but the GPU WUs were the best I had.

To give you an idea I generally do about 72K per day and yesterday it was over a 100K. I know those are not your giant scores but I was happy with the result.

BUTTTT

Today it's all CRAP like I don't know if I will make 65K....I reset the core numbers to 8 on the CPU and nothings change. I could de-activate the affinity but I don't know if it makes a difference...

I'm without words and I hope someone can help me...

Thanks in advance

Old June 8, 2013, 07:16 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Akira749,
congrats on the folding, well done. I to remember the days of having my numbers bounce all over the place, and they still do. I believe this is all do to the WU's you are getting. It may help you to understand better the PPD by keeping track of the work you are putting through. For awhile I tried to log the WU's full number and the place(gpu/cpu) where it was running and what the best estimate of time and PPD I would get for it. In the end I just let them run some days its high and others its low. I do not fold on any 2, 3 or 4p systems so I cannot fold big-adv units. Lately I find the best PPD is from the GPU's and the newer 600 series cards seem to be besting my old 500 series cards handily. Just wish I could afford a 700 or Titan and see what it could do. I do not think you need to worry your PPD will rarely be the same.

p://www.hardfolding.com/fhtag.php/mem/7984290/26/1.png[/IMG][/url]