Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2013, 05:32 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by drougnor View Post
Yeah, you mention 'cheese curds' to most ANYONE in this part of the world (You know, where REAL restaurants DON'T live) and they assume you mean cottage cheese. I'm lucky to be offered a choice between shredded cheeses.

Now the gravy thing - I tend to favor my own make - We've been cooking turkeys like no one's business when we can get them cheap, and I make a MEAN turkey based stock. Somewhere between a nice blonde colored chicken and rich brown beef. Freaking TASTY (the secret? Re-roast the bones before they go into the stock pot, just enough to get some good browning. Trust me, it's wonderful!) and works well either as a straight flour based gravy, or, if you wish, add some sour cream to make a heavenly smooth creamy gravy. Drooling at the thought, right now...

And, since my wife and both kids are lactose intolerant and one kid and the wife can't have gluten, I've been relearning how to cook, pretty much from the ground up. And comfort dishes like this end up being put to the side for once every few months now.

Man, I need to find a good supplier of cheese curds...
I live about a mile away from a cheese factory in Wilton Ontario... I seriously cannot imagine life without fresh curds. I feel your pain...
Old April 17, 2013, 05:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Geez...is Maine THAT backwards You are only ~250 miles from me and the people here know what cheese curds are.

.....or at least the half normal one do
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old April 17, 2013, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hunt down a local cheese factory fore curd, cheddar curd now your making me hungry.
Old April 17, 2013, 05:39 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drougnor View Post
Ok, so this year's gripe from the ALMOST Canadian from EVGA - You all NEED to figure out some sort of classification for what legally can and cannot be called poutine, ok? Because the crap I keep finding here in restaurants? Definitely a pale imitation.
You still owe us a visit to come get some poutine! Montreal would be the best most likely, but other cities might have some good stuff.

There is a Poutinerie here in town that I have not checked out...I'll have to see if they have the real curds.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 17, 2013, 05:46 PM
Top Prospect

You can get some good stuff in NB. made with curdes, but I can't remember the name of any places off the top of my head. curds really make it
Old April 17, 2013, 06:01 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
Geez...is Maine THAT backwards You are only ~250 miles from me and the people here know what cheese curds are.

.....or at least the half normal one do
Dude, mention donaire in Maine. The blank stares are freaking epic.

For the most part, southern Maine is aware of what good foods are a thing that don't absolutely HAVE to involve potatoes or lobster . . . Northern, where I grew up? not so much.

But yes, cheese curds are a rarity here. You can't even mention squeeky cheese without baffled looks. A bunch of savages.
Old April 17, 2013, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

http://store1.hardwarecanucks.com/st...are%20Canucks/

educate them/ check out the store section here
Old April 17, 2013, 06:32 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Only on HWC can you ever find a poutine thread. Poutine. 22 pages of pure poutine education.

Now, best poutine? Montreal. Paulo & Suzanne. ChrisK knows. 'nuff said. This is the Holy Spot:

Old April 17, 2013, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Cant find something and you know how to make it. people who try it will come back fore more,

The American Dream ( Putine Emote )
Old April 17, 2013, 07:26 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Only on HWC can you ever find a poutine thread. Poutine. 22 pages of pure poutine education.

Now, best poutine? Montreal. Paulo & Suzanne. ChrisK knows. 'nuff said. This is the Holy Spot:

I see your Jeep parked next door. Would have been weird I guess if the Googlemobile didn't get it :)

Might be driving to NF this summer....a poutine stop might be in the cards!
Fold for team #54196