Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28, 2013, 06:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default GPU Folding (550Ti) with Windows Vista?

Hi all,

As the subject, I'm going to be bringing online a folder soon, and I'm wondering if I'd be at any disadvantage Folding-wise to use Windows Vista Enterprise (which my school gave out a ton of MSDNAA keys for).

The computer will be either a Phenom 9950 or a Athlon X2 5200+ (depending on if the Phenom wasn't fried from my last experiment ), but most of the PPD will come from a GeForce GTX 550 Ti.

If Folding and light file server use is the only thing the rig will be doing, would I have any issues using an old Vista key? I'll of course treat it to the 10+ restarts worth of Windows Update to get the service packs and all that.
Also, could I run no antivirus since the only contact the rig will ever have with the Internet is Windows Update and F@H downloading new cores (EDIT: and WUs)? (Just for extra paranoia I'll download F@HClient from a computer with antivirus.)

Thanks!
Old March 28, 2013, 07:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the only issue you will have would be the ram requirements, you need at least 4GB of ram for a comfortable experience with Vista, that is all. windows 8 enterprise is still offered for free, from MS website
Old March 28, 2013, 10:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have 8 GiB of RAM, but not like the user experience would matter since I'll only log on to the computer to check the F@H Client and its server stuff

Just in case, the specs of the machine will be the following:
CPU: AMD Phenom 9950 / CoolerMaster GeminII or AMD Athlon X2 5200+ / Zerotherm BTF90
Mobo: ASUS M3A78-T or ASUS M2A-VM
RAM: 4x2GiB OCZ Platinum DDR2-800 - I'll probably run them at 5-5-5-18 or something
HDDs: Whatever I have lying around - probably some Seagate 7200.10 that still happen to power up
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 550 Ti
Case: Antec New Solution (the one that has two front 120mm)
PSU:

If I'm forced to use the M2A-VM, it will be interesting to see what PCI-E x16 but at the 1.1 speeds will do to the folding...

Last edited by frontier204; March 28, 2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: clarification on outdated PCIE, PSU
Old March 28, 2013, 11:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
the only issue you will have would be the ram requirements, you need at least 4GB of ram for a comfortable experience with Vista, that is all.
Wrong. I've used a 3gig Vista system for years. Fluid and fast.
Old March 29, 2013, 09:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My parents have been using a Vista system with 3 GiB of RAM since 2007, but it wasn't fluid until I threw a SSD in

I'm putting the computer through the usual gauntlet of stress tests, since the parts came from a combination of a computer that was used casually, parts that have been in the closet for a year, and a computer that smoked. I'll be using the older CPU/mobo combo (Athlon X2 + M2A-VM) since the other parts are damaged. First up is HDDs, next will probably be RAM (since those tests you can do without installing an OS).
Old May 9, 2013, 04:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
If I'm forced to use the M2A-VM, it will be interesting to see what PCI-E x16 but at the 1.1 speeds will do to the folding...
absolutely nothing as it works even on X1 just fine
Old May 9, 2013, 05:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Wrong. I've used a 3gig Vista system for years. Fluid and fast.
Fluid and fast does not exist in the Vista world especially with 3gb of ram.