Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   GPU Folding (550Ti) with Windows Vista? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/60435-gpu-folding-550ti-windows-vista.html)

frontier204 March 28, 2013 06:36 AM

GPU Folding (550Ti) with Windows Vista?

Hi all,

As the subject, I'm going to be bringing online a folder soon, and I'm wondering if I'd be at any disadvantage Folding-wise to use Windows Vista Enterprise (which my school gave out a ton of MSDNAA keys for).

The computer will be either a Phenom 9950 or a Athlon X2 5200+ (depending on if the Phenom wasn't fried from my last experiment :haha:), but most of the PPD will come from a GeForce GTX 550 Ti.

If Folding and light file server use is the only thing the rig will be doing, would I have any issues using an old Vista key? I'll of course treat it to the 10+ restarts worth of Windows Update to get the service packs and all that.
Also, could I run no antivirus since the only contact the rig will ever have with the Internet is Windows Update and F@H downloading new cores (EDIT: and WUs)? (Just for extra paranoia I'll download F@HClient from a computer with antivirus.)

Thanks!

MARSTG March 28, 2013 07:51 AM

the only issue you will have would be the ram requirements, you need at least 4GB of ram for a comfortable experience with Vista, that is all. windows 8 enterprise is still offered for free, from MS website

frontier204 March 28, 2013 10:02 AM

I have 8 GiB of RAM, but not like the user experience would matter since I'll only log on to the computer to check the F@H Client and its server stuff :thumb:

Just in case, the specs of the machine will be the following:
CPU: AMD Phenom 9950 / CoolerMaster GeminII or AMD Athlon X2 5200+ / Zerotherm BTF90
Mobo: ASUS M3A78-T or ASUS M2A-VM
RAM: 4x2GiB OCZ Platinum DDR2-800 - I'll probably run them at 5-5-5-18 or something
HDDs: Whatever I have lying around - probably some Seagate 7200.10 that still happen to power up :whistle:
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 550 Ti
Case: Antec New Solution (the one that has two front 120mm)
PSU: :ph34r:

If I'm forced to use the M2A-VM, it will be interesting to see what PCI-E x16 but at the 1.1 speeds will do to the folding...

IRQ Conflict March 28, 2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARSTG (Post 699335)
the only issue you will have would be the ram requirements, you need at least 4GB of ram for a comfortable experience with Vista, that is all.

Wrong. I've used a 3gig Vista system for years. Fluid and fast.

frontier204 March 29, 2013 09:09 AM

My parents have been using a Vista system with 3 GiB of RAM since 2007, but it wasn't fluid until I threw a SSD in :haha:

I'm putting the computer through the usual gauntlet of stress tests, since the parts came from a combination of a computer that was used casually, parts that have been in the closet for a year, and a computer that smoked. I'll be using the older CPU/mobo combo (Athlon X2 + M2A-VM) since the other parts are damaged. First up is HDDs, next will probably be RAM (since those tests you can do without installing an OS).

MARSTG May 9, 2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frontier204 (Post 699363)
If I'm forced to use the M2A-VM, it will be interesting to see what PCI-E x16 but at the 1.1 speeds will do to the folding...

absolutely nothing as it works even on X1 just fine

enaberif May 9, 2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict (Post 699383)
Wrong. I've used a 3gig Vista system for years. Fluid and fast.

Fluid and fast does not exist in the Vista world especially with 3gb of ram.