Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old March 5, 2013, 07:19 PM
botat29's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
So, F@H finally got serious about folding on ATI hardware again? After the Xseries debacle back in, what? 2007? We shall see.

That's nothing. I saw a post where the Titan was getting 307,392 PPD.

well read again your link the 307k his for all is folding systems, one report 64k and another 58 k for the titan on that post .
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old March 6, 2013, 11:20 AM
Allstar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 645

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
I thought bitcoins was a scam?
Tell that to my giant pile of silver bars


/evil laugh
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old March 6, 2013, 11:41 AM
great_big_abyss's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,211

My System Specs

Default

Remember a couple of years ago, core16 was supposed to have fixed AMD folding. Didn't, really. So far, this is underwhelming, too. Better than it used to be, but not the revolutionary ppd that I was hoping for.
__________________



HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old March 6, 2013, 12:03 PM
IRQ Conflict's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drayton Valley, AB
Posts: 1,566

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
well read again your link the 307k his for all is folding systems, one report 64k and another 58 k for the titan on that post .
My bad. Just saw the estimated PPD in the first screen shot.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old March 6, 2013, 01:21 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,535

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Remember a couple of years ago, core16 was supposed to have fixed AMD folding. Didn't, really. So far, this is underwhelming, too. Better than it used to be, but not the revolutionary ppd that I was hoping for.

As well as being a step backwards for kepler. The 8XXX WUs were bad enough in that they only pegged the power at 80%, looks like these are only pushing 60 - 65%.

As I stated earlier, I'm still folding with the 580, and SMP with the 980X, but my kepler's been idle for a couple of weeks now and will remain so until they figure this out and/or publically release QRB for GPUs.
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i5 4670K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old March 6, 2013, 01:24 PM
great_big_abyss's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,211

My System Specs

Default

I haven't seen numbers for Kepler using core17...my 680 is currently in a box awaiting word of an RMA.

It's disappointed that keplers numbers will suffer even more :(
__________________



HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old March 6, 2013, 01:45 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,535

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
I haven't seen numbers for Kepler using core17...my 680 is currently in a box awaiting word of an RMA.

It's disappointed that keplers numbers will suffer even more :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by G777 View Post
Interesting... the V7 client definitely shows points and a QRB bonus:

Project:7661 (5,0,2)
Base Credit:1600
Estimated Credit:6341.48
Estimated PPD:24030.88
Estimated TPF:3min 48secs

Previously though I was getting about 40,000 PPD on 762X WU's. With only ~2% cpu usage per client

Hopefully the cpu usage goes down on the new units; if as you say a large part of that is debugging
And then in this post ( FahCore17 for AMD is Here!! ) he posts an image of his monitoring software and we can see that GPU1 is pegged around 65% while GPU2 is pegged around 60%.

This has been ongoing ever since they started officially supporting kepler. Under the old work-around method of -beta + the GPU whitelist we at least had keplers running full out it's only since they removed the -beta requirement for kepler to work that we've had power levels of 80% or lower.
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i5 4670K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old March 7, 2013, 07:59 PM
lowfat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,983

My System Specs

Default

These WUs are very disappointing in terms of PPD. However they no longer make my GTX680s squeal.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old March 8, 2013, 03:00 AM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,535

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
These WUs are very disappointing in terms of PPD. However they no longer make my GTX680s squeal.
And yet the PTB over there are still in denial WRT the Low PPD being caused by lower compute power on kepler. Yes, I get that, and accept that Fermi might actually be able to crunch better numbers on fully optimised code, but the fact remains that these WUs aren't stressing kepler cards at all and thus it's a software problem not an inherent hardware limitation.
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i5 4670K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old March 10, 2013, 01:47 AM
Trial Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1
Smile

HI there. As I was a part of the core pre beta testers group I would like to clear some thing up and give you guys some pointers about this new core.

This core uses OpenCL, not closed CUDA, but OpenCL. nVidia have their baby, which at this moment is not OpenCL, so their support for it is way lacking. This is one of the reasons 6 series are doing quite bad with this core. AMD is giving their best efforts to optimise their hardware for OpenCL, as this is becoming industries standard and it is open, that is why we see such improvement with their hardware on this core.
As you can see from release notes at proteneer's blog, titan cannot even run this core because nVidia lack of dedication to OpenCL.

As we all know 4 and 5 series (Fermi) cards were developed as compute beasts by nVidia and you should remember a lot of people ridiculed them and gave grief about it, as it was too hot, too big, too expensive and very late. Now nVidia released gamers card which is 6 series with most of the compute stuff cut out. Thus we have small, cold GPU core which is excellent for gamers, BUT is lacking in compute department, so again this is the second reason why 6 series is doing so 'badly'. It is capable to be as powerful as Fermi in compute perhaps, but this requires major dedication from nVidia to optimise drivers and API.

Now you might ask why proteneer went OpenCL way instead of CUDA with this core. Answer is simple: to make code as unified as possible and to make the code run on both nVidia and AMD gpus. It is pretty incredible that now we have two completely different architectures being able to run the same exact WU.
Also to note: this core at this development stage was being pushed to make it just work. Performance optimisations according to dev will come later. Now we sorted out most of the bugs and errors, so dev can dedicate his effort in performance optimisations. Now we get around 45k PPD on 7970s, but according to dev there is still plenty of optimisations for either nvidia and AMD. I cannot say any numbers, but the potential is quite huge.

So as this core is still in beta, I would urge everyone to calm down and give proteneer a chance to optimise this sucker, as he already made miracles with making this core run.

Most of you are moaning about 6 series running this core slow. In order to run this core on 6 series you have to use beta argument, and unless all of you who moan are in beta testing team, I don't see the reason why would you run beta argument if you are not in the beta tester team and moan. Running beta WUs while not on beta testing team is damaging to project, as problems are not being reported and in a way that is why we have this situation with core 17 and Keplers, because you guys are running what you are not really supposed to run in the 1st place. Those who run beta on 4 and 5 series and are not in beta team, just drop beta argument and enjoy fahcore 16.

In the end, I should give you guys a lot of credit, as you took this news way better than say EVGA folder forum people :D Remember Pande Group's main objective is science. They write scientific papers not on how many points does Kepler lose but what has been done scientifically with the project.

And you have to agree fahcore 17 is pretty amazing as it managed to bring AMD back into folding, and that on its own is absolutely great news

Last edited by lowfat; March 10, 2013 at 01:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes