Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5, 2013, 06:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingOP3 View Post
FahCore17 for AMD is Here!!
Sweet! Time to fire my pair of X1900 XTX's back up!

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old March 5, 2013, 06:55 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Is that on your 670? Are you running any form of monitoring software (AB or Precision)? I'm wondering if the new core fully utilizes kepler cards (like the 762X WUs did) or if the power is only running around 80% (like it does for WUs writting for fermi like the 8XXX ones we've been seeing recently).
Two 670's actually, usage is near 99%.

Edit: I have a 7970 Lightning just sitting on my desk, waiting for next bench session. I'd like to fire it up to see how it does, but nowhere to put it on a running rig.
First world problems
Attached Images

HWC Overclocking Team, breaking hardware for fun!

Team Thread
Old March 5, 2013, 07:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by G777 View Post
Two 670's actually, usage is near 99%.

Edit: I have a 7970 Lightning just sitting on my desk, waiting for next bench session. I'd like to fire it up to see how it does, but nowhere to put it on a running rig.
First world problems
Ouch!!!!

So by switching to OpenCL they're giving some (much needed) lovin' to the AMD owners, but putting Nvidia owners into pretty much the same position as AMD users used to be in.....

Hardly seems like a good way to keep your user base happy.

I wonder if there's any hope in the near future for Nvidia's driver to better support openCL? If not, and this is the way forward I may have to look back into worldgrid for my GPUs.

edit: I'm trying to make out what your image is reading... I see the gpu usage up around 99%, but what's the power reading? Looks to me like it's either 85% or 65% which is the same issue that causes older fermi WUs (currently the 8XXX ones) to put out crappy PPD on kepler GPUs.

edit#2: GPU2 power seems to be reading 59% which leads me to believe that GPU1 is probably at 65%. No wonder the PPD bites, the cards aren't using 35 - 40% of their potential.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP

Last edited by sswilson; March 5, 2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:53 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Guys! Folding isn't like running video games! nVidia cards are just simply and plainly better at a basic hardware level for folding.

The converse is true for bitcoin mining and "solving crypto problems" /evil laughter

The 1000 dollar titan would get smoked by a single 6950 for mining bitcoins.

It's simply a difference in how the hardware is designed and software can't change it.

My brother had a similar problem with running a certain problem on his work xenon computers. They were 10x as slow as a 2011 based 3970. And yes they can afford the extra 400 bucks for 1% more juice. Go figure
Old March 5, 2013, 08:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
Guys! Folding isn't like running video games! nVidia cards are just simply and plainly better at a basic hardware level for folding.

The converse is true for bitcoin mining and "solving crypto problems" /evil laughter

The 1000 dollar titan would get smoked by a single 6950 for mining bitcoins.

It's simply a difference in how the hardware is designed and software can't change it.

My brother had a similar problem with running a certain problem on his work xenon computers. They were 10x as slow as a 2011 based 3970. And yes they can afford the extra 400 bucks for 1% more juice. Go figure
But, software can change it. The problem here is that the old AMD work units wouldn't fully utilise AMD's core. That is changing now.

AMD cards (especially the new gen) are beasts when it comes to GPU compute A 7970 should blow any Nvidia card out of the water right now, as long as software is optimised to use 100% of the core.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 5, 2013, 10:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is awesome :D I cant wait to get the 6970's folding :D :D might make a good reason to upgrade them for SCIENCE!!!!
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old March 5, 2013, 04:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you guys are going to come to the red team, why not mine? Bitcoins are up to 40.00 today, and they were 3 when i started :) :) :)

My trifire rig paid for itself a couple times over :)
Old March 5, 2013, 04:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I thought bitcoins was a scam?
Old March 5, 2013, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So AMD folding finally makes sense! That means I can go from my GTX 460 to a ATI 6870 with minimal Folding loss! Right?

I dunno what my PPD is because I don't believe the computer running and folding 24/7... But what I do know is that I spend more time folding than gaming. Lots more.
Old March 5, 2013, 04:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
So AMD folding finally makes sense! That means I can go from my GTX 460 to a ATI 6870 with minimal Folding loss! Right?
Baited breath my friend. I went through this years ago. Wasted a lot of my time. High expectations met with an equally low let down. Both from Stanford and ATI.