Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2013, 04:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

It would probably be worth it in the long term if (and that's a BIG if ) the equipment holds out... A friend of mine invested over $90,000. in a solar system on his farm. The power generated goes back into the grid and he get's a decent monthly income from it. It will take roughly 12-15 years to recoup his investment... The equipment which is about 6 years old is however already beginning to falter... He has had several breakdowns in the last year and is questioning whether it was such a good idea or not... He was initially told the equipment would last 15-20 years maintenance free... By the look of things he seriously doubts he will get more than another 2-3 years use out of it before it craps out. I was considering investing in a small system for a bush camp (heated of course with folding rigs) as I have access to about 60 acres of bush where I was planning on setting up camp in a remote location. I however reluctantly decided to park my trailer where hydro was available... Durability issues aside, the start up costs and maintenance costs were simply too high for it to be worth it...
Old March 30, 2013, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Mom installed a solar panel a couple years ago with a large gel boat battery for storage. I have since installed an inverter inside the 5th wheel trailer so they can vacuum and run a microwave if they choose. On a single battery it will run lights and a laptop for several hours before it runs outta juice. We've since added a second battery and it will run for nearly twice as long without any issues. Gel batteries are great because you can kill them hundreds of times and they'll last for several years.

It was important to disable the inverter before going to bed as it will continue to draw power and flatten the battery... I will need to look into a permanent monkey proof way of disabling/enabling (a timer perhaps) the inverter that doesn't require much power and runs on a DC circuit.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old March 30, 2013, 12:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

The best batteries are 'AGM' (adsorbed glass mat) batteries like an Optima yellowtop.....You want 'Deep Cycle' batteries generally.

...And yes 'Inverters' are "switched power supplies" , They will draw even when not supplying power.

----

The UPS' I have allow external batteries , I'll be adding yellowtops.

Old March 30, 2013, 03:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
The best batteries are 'AGM' (adsorbed glass mat) batteries like an Optima yellowtop.....You want 'Deep Cycle' batteries generally.

...And yes 'Inverters' are "switched power supplies" , They will draw even when not supplying power.

----

The UPS' I have allow external batteries , I'll be adding yellowtops.

parralle to keep 24vdc for most ups
Old March 31, 2013, 01:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Actually I'll be doing series-paralell , for 48 vdc.

edit :

....and you mean 'series' for 24v......paralell batteries increase capacity , series batteries increase voltage.

Last edited by BrainEater; March 31, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old March 31, 2013, 04:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Actually I'll be doing series-paralell , for 48 vdc.

edit :

....and you mean 'series' for 24v......paralell batteries increase capacity , series batteries increase voltage.

more clear pic of series/pararrelle
Attached Images