Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2012, 02:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

Used batteries are rarely recommended.
Old November 22, 2012, 02:41 PM
Rookie
F@H

A more viable option in Ontario than trying to store power in batteries for non-sunlight hours is to sell it to the Ontario Power Authority. If you were to apply for the OPA microFIT program and gained a contract with them (microFIT Program | Ontario Power Authority) you would be able to sell any excess power you generate at a rate of 54.9 cents/kWh (for a rooftop solar installation). If you sell enough electricity during the day to offset the electricity cost of non-sunlight hours then you wouldn't need batteries, cutting out almost half of the installation cost.
Old March 26, 2013, 02:52 PM
Top Prospect

The dirty little secret about wind and solar power, is that they simply don't do much. We've put billions of $$$ into it in the US, but the amount of power we get from it is pathetic.

"If wishes were fishes we'd have some fried. If wishes were horses, then beggars could ride", my Grandma used to say. Very true with wind and solar power. There are some places with enough wind or sun to make sense using it, but for most of us, it's a lot of hype like it's somehow able to replace our traditional energy generating methods.

And that is a BIG FAT LIE that you seldom hear mentioned in the media.

If you want to save money on power, and still fold, get an Ivy Bridge cpu. They have versions of it that are both powerful for folding, and run on very little power. Do only cpu folding projects.
Old March 26, 2013, 03:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

read but they say start up cost err mom on cost
Old March 27, 2013, 08:04 AM
Allstar

I completely disagree and I'm sure Germany does as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
The dirty little secret about wind and solar power, is that they simply don't do much. We've put billions of $$$ into it in the US, but the amount of power we get from it is pathetic.

"If wishes were fishes we'd have some fried. If wishes were horses, then beggars could ride", my Grandma used to say. Very true with wind and solar power. There are some places with enough wind or sun to make sense using it, but for most of us, it's a lot of hype like it's somehow able to replace our traditional energy generating methods.

And that is a BIG FAT LIE that you seldom hear mentioned in the media.

If you want to save money on power, and still fold, get an Ivy Bridge cpu. They have versions of it that are both powerful for folding, and run on very little power. Do only cpu folding projects.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old March 27, 2013, 09:26 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post

I called them. There coming by for an assessment but you cannot tap into the power source until I'm dead ( 20 years ) but they'll pay you $800- $1000 per year. I think it's more trouble but we'll see.

CHEERS
Old March 27, 2013, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Well they have to start some where, and the big thing about this same goes for most things is that they get exaggerated or people on hear the parts they want to hear. if I had the room I would do both solar and wind and even thermal if I could, like folding do little is better then doing nothing every little bit does count because the more it gets used the more it will improved on. I would love to be totally self suffient but the truth is in order to do that kind of thing allot of luxeries that I have taken for granted would most likely have to be sacrificed .
Old March 29, 2013, 08:05 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I have access to a dealership account (read 35 % off) for solar panels if anyone is interested in getting a cheaper startup cost. The company I work with uses solar to run remote telemetry systems.
Battery maintenance in the cold is still the biggest challenge for cost effective solar power where I live but it can be managed.
Old March 29, 2013, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

start peddling for nothing free on earth

Old March 29, 2013, 01:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Rison mentioned the key parts./part : (the monaaaay $$$ )

I'm actually in the process of experimenting with solar.

Here's my story ;

I got 10kW of UPS' for free . This can be the start of a solar system.I've spent just under a grand wiring em (with return/DC lines)....

Here's my next costs :

Batteries : 1000$ at least.
Actual solar panels : prolly another 2000$....

-----

It's really not efficient to try to do 1 computer solar.You can , but the cost/dollar is harsh.I'm gonna try for 2 kw initially , and I expect no less than 5000$ cost.