Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Folding with SSD only (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/57369-folding-ssd-only.html)

stoanee October 18, 2012 04:59 PM

Folding with SSD only

Is there any downside to folding with an ssd only in the system? I hear that it may degrade the ssd rather quickly.

3.0charlie October 18, 2012 05:02 PM

Bah, I've been using a very cheap Adata 300 series 32Gb SSD for about 18 months now, and it's still going strong in my crunching / folding rig.

ilya October 18, 2012 05:04 PM

I would think it would depend on the size of the WUs you're folding. For most units I doubt they'll eat up that many writes.

gingerbee October 18, 2012 06:43 PM

i have killed many ssd all in different ways and once folding was the problem with older ssd in raid0 with bad itgc but let me clear something up i was also using it for a home server and torrent rig and some daily use adn they died after 2 years of use.

But that wouldn't stop me from doing it now i just don't think there's much to any difference in performance:thumb:

lowfat October 18, 2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilya (Post 663793)
For most units I doubt they'll eat up that many writes.

This. You wouldn't need to worry about it.

dandelioneater October 18, 2012 07:28 PM

I think its a non issue. A big wu is like 250MB or something roughly, that once a day or so shouldn't even make a dent in the longetivity of the ssd.

SugarJ October 18, 2012 07:47 PM

I killed my Vertex 60GB using a 6GB VM and backing it up every 15 minutes. Never did the math to realize I was writing over 500GB a day to it until it was too late. If you are just running the regular V7 client it should be fine.

BeaverBender October 19, 2012 02:37 AM

Well, I killed an SSD once in a quad-opteron folding box, but then again it was an OCZ Petrol, so it most likely was because it was just a crappy SSD :censored:

Galcobar October 19, 2012 03:18 AM

SSDs tend to die one of two ways -- bad hardware/firmware, which invariably seems to be the controller, or worn-out NAND, which requires server-level use such as Sugar J describes.

Great thread of people actively trying to write their SSDs to death: SSD Write Endurance 25nm Vs 34nm The results seem akin to what you'd expect, if it's a lemon it dies early, and if it's not it lasts long past the warrantied/promised life (compare actual TiB written versus TiB written when the Media Wear Indicator reached 0). There's one 256 GB Samsung 830 which is still under testing and was pushing towards 4900 TiB as of Oct. 10, and a 64GB m4 at 1700 TiB; we're talking write volumes which should be measured in petabytes, for Pete's sake.

chrisk October 19, 2012 04:00 AM

I have an Intel 80GB Gen2 for the folding rig for I believe almost 2 years now with no issues.