Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   GTX295 folding (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/57338-gtx295-folding.html)

great_big_abyss October 17, 2012 10:23 AM

GTX295 folding

I anticipate this arriving any day now, and I'll want to get it folding ASAP.

This will be my first Nvidia card (ever!!!). What version of drivers will work best for folding with this card? Are the most recent ones okay? Or will I want to use an older release?

I'll be folding with V7 client

MARSTG October 17, 2012 11:44 AM

Folding on the V7 is not the best idea for this monster, I was using FAH GPU tracker V2 and best drivers that I folded with were 260.99 which are WHQL also. They will let you run other apps and use it as display card without showing any lag, even if you are watching movies. But you might want to disable the SLI which windows or the drivers enable by default. For the moment I am not using it as doing SMP and GPU drops the production too much on SMP to justify that, I am ;osing 20k PPD production on SMP while the card does 15-16k. I also noticed that Intel platforms are much more sensitive and loose more points while folding SMP and GPU that compared to AMD platforms. I am getting a flexible 1x to 16x riser adapter and will connect the GTX295 on the Opteron rig to see how it fares, without making it a display card. Display will be done by a GT 520 on regular PCI port.

great_big_abyss October 17, 2012 12:55 PM

I am only doing GPU folding with this rig. It is also used to watch media and surf the web. If not v7, which is the best client to use?

MARSTG October 17, 2012 01:13 PM

I just said : FAH GPU tracker V2. look here FAH GPU Tracker V2 - Home

great_big_abyss October 17, 2012 01:35 PM

Ah, okay. Sorry, I wasn't around during those folding days, so I didn't know gpu tracker was a thing. I'll figure it out, thanks

LoTech October 17, 2012 04:37 PM

Can you run GPU tracker and v7 in conjuction? Use gpu tracker for gpu's, and v7 for cpu only. Just wondering.
Also to chime in on the drivers. I am now using the most recent Nvidia drivers, and to be honest I never really see a big difference in PPD from drivers. I see the big difference in PPD with the WU's that are shipped to me. Some have TPF's of 53 secs and some have 8 mins or more, geez. I also notice that some have long tpf's with little points awarded and some have short tpf's and larger points awarded. To me it seems like they are not awarded fairly for the amount of time and power required on some of these WU's. SHould they not award you more points for the harder units to crunch through?? Just a thought.

Tim_H October 18, 2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARSTG (Post 663343)
Folding on the V7 is not the best idea for this monster

Why not?

Tim_H October 18, 2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoTech (Post 663412)
Can you run GPU tracker and v7 in conjuction? Use gpu tracker for gpu's, and v7 for cpu only. Just wondering.
Also to chime in on the drivers. I am now using the most recent Nvidia drivers, and to be honest I never really see a big difference in PPD from drivers. I see the big difference in PPD with the WU's that are shipped to me. Some have TPF's of 53 secs and some have 8 mins or more, geez. I also notice that some have long tpf's with little points awarded and some have short tpf's and larger points awarded. To me it seems like they are not awarded fairly for the amount of time and power required on some of these WU's. SHould they not award you more points for the harder units to crunch through?? Just a thought.

To your first question, yes. You can configure V7 to only control the CPU, that said the V7 client should handle the gtx295 just fine (might want to dissable SLI as marstg said). It's already one of the whitelisted cards.

The drivers can have an impact on desktop performance/lag I'm only folding on one GPU right now, and if i remember correctly I'm running the latest drivers. There is some lag and mouse jumping on the desktop to the point where I will stop folding while I'm using the machine then start it when I walk away.

Points, there's a topic. points can swing a lot from one unit to the next, even within the same project number. I have seen smp wu's on some of my machines that will produce 16000ppd, then the next one is 33000ppd. To me it's just luck of the draw. The only way to get consistent ppd from one unit to the next is to have a system exactly the same as the one they use for benchmarking units when they are new.

MARSTG October 18, 2012 08:06 PM

Different drivers make the card behave nice or not, makes no difference for the PPD. The only difference is done if the card used to fold is also driving your display, that is all. 260.99 was the only driver that would allow me to have no lag at all while folding on it in the same time. I tried it with GTX 460 , 9800GX2, and GTS 250 and all the time the experience was very good. Now I am no longer GPU folding (for the moment) so i am not using it anymore. I might get a GTX 470/480 and do some more GPU folding during the autumn/winter/spring.

great_big_abyss October 19, 2012 06:56 PM

I'm trying out V7. Got both cores folding, no problem. 260.99 drivers. No apparent lag when using my machine for surfing/media. No idea on PPD, V7 isn't displaying any WU points.

And yowza, does this thing ever get hot... that's a lot of hot air being dumped inside the case.