Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2012, 09:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default how do I calculate my folding PCs electricity?

I want to figure out how much my 2p folder is going to cost me but I am not sure how to calculate it.
Old October 5, 2012, 11:15 PM
Top Prospect

well, I use a kil-o-watt or any other watt meter. It isn't exact, but it can tell you about what your computer is using for power in Watts. You take that numbe, lets call it x, and:
x*24/1000*(local power rate/KWh). That will give you the cost if it is running for 24 hours. the 1000 is a conversion from Watts to KiloWatts.

for example I have a quad G34(6174) system that uses about 500W. My local power rate is $0.11/KWH
500W*24/1000*0.11=$1.32 for every 24 hours of running at 100%.

If you are just looking for an estimate it would be helpful to know the system specs. (I'm guessing it's the one in your signature) if so I'd estimate the power usage at around 250-275W. Might be a little high but it's a place to start.
Old October 6, 2012, 09:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

oh right I remember now lol I just need to find a place that sells it I remember searching locally out here in Abbotsford but know one had anything like that. so I guess on line I go. ty for reminding me about this
Old October 6, 2012, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

They did sell one at Canadian tire, but I am pretty sure they don't anymore... It's not on the website. I am sure there will be lots available online.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old October 6, 2012, 11:31 AM
Rookie

I purchased a plugin electricity meter from Canadian Tire about a month ago. They were in the same electrical section as the inline power timers, power bars, and extension cords. It doesn't hurt to check the next time you shop there.
Old October 6, 2012, 11:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertaxis View Post
I purchased a plugin electricity meter from Canadian Tire about a month ago. They were in the same electrical section as the inline power timers, power bars, and extension cords. It doesn't hurt to check the next time you shop there.
I need to get out well the weather is still nice so I might as well walk there to get some fresh air lol.
Old October 6, 2012, 10:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Where do you live and who is your Hydro provider Shadowmeph? I have some formulas for calculating average daily, weekly, monthly and annual hydro costs of dedicated 24/7 folding equipment that I could customize for you once you know your AC wattage. My formulas take into account time of use billing including weekend and holidays rates.

edit - ...and leap years.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old October 6, 2012, 11:00 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
Where do you live and who is your Hydro provider Shadowmeph? I have some formulas for calculating average daily, weekly, monthly and annual hydro costs of dedicated 24/7 folding equipment that I could customize for you once you know your AC wattage. My formulas take into account time of use billing including weekend and holidays rates.

edit - ...and leap years.
Very nice. I'm glad I don't have to deal with "time of use" rates.
Old October 6, 2012, 11:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

True it makes things a tad complicated, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_H View Post
My local power rate is $0.11/KWH
I pay $0.107 6 hrs/weekday, $0.089 6 hrs/weekday and $0.059 12 hrs/weekday + all day on weekends and holidays. Time of use billing is a big plus for folks pulling 24/7 hydro.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old October 6, 2012, 11:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

He's in BC so it's BC hydro. We don't have time of day billing, and it's about nine cents a kwh