Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   how do I calculate my folding PCs electricity? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/57102-how-do-i-calculate-my-folding-pcs-electricity.html)

Shadowmeph October 5, 2012 08:18 PM

how do I calculate my folding PCs electricity?

I want to figure out how much my 2p folder is going to cost me but I am not sure how to calculate it.

Tim_H October 5, 2012 10:15 PM

well, I use a kil-o-watt or any other watt meter. It isn't exact, but it can tell you about what your computer is using for power in Watts. You take that numbe, lets call it x, and:
x*24/1000*(local power rate/KWh). That will give you the cost if it is running for 24 hours. the 1000 is a conversion from Watts to KiloWatts.

for example I have a quad G34(6174) system that uses about 500W. My local power rate is $0.11/KWH
500W*24/1000*0.11=$1.32 for every 24 hours of running at 100%.

If you are just looking for an estimate it would be helpful to know the system specs. (I'm guessing it's the one in your signature) if so I'd estimate the power usage at around 250-275W. Might be a little high but it's a place to start.

Shadowmeph October 6, 2012 08:53 AM

oh right I remember now lol I just need to find a place that sells it I remember searching locally out here in Abbotsford but know one had anything like that. so I guess on line I go. ty for reminding me about this

Bond007 October 6, 2012 08:59 AM

They did sell one at Canadian tire, but I am pretty sure they don't anymore... It's not on the website. I am sure there will be lots available online.

Vertaxis October 6, 2012 10:31 AM

I purchased a plugin electricity meter from Canadian Tire about a month ago. They were in the same electrical section as the inline power timers, power bars, and extension cords. It doesn't hurt to check the next time you shop there.

Shadowmeph October 6, 2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertaxis (Post 660221)
I purchased a plugin electricity meter from Canadian Tire about a month ago. They were in the same electrical section as the inline power timers, power bars, and extension cords. It doesn't hurt to check the next time you shop there.

I need to get out well the weather is still nice so I might as well walk there to get some fresh air lol.

Dead Things October 6, 2012 09:53 PM

Where do you live and who is your Hydro provider Shadowmeph? I have some formulas for calculating average daily, weekly, monthly and annual hydro costs of dedicated 24/7 folding equipment that I could customize for you once you know your AC wattage. My formulas take into account time of use billing including weekend and holidays rates.

edit - ...and leap years.

Tim_H October 6, 2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Things (Post 660334)
Where do you live and who is your Hydro provider Shadowmeph? I have some formulas for calculating average daily, weekly, monthly and annual hydro costs of dedicated 24/7 folding equipment that I could customize for you once you know your AC wattage. My formulas take into account time of use billing including weekend and holidays rates.

edit - ...and leap years.

Very nice. I'm glad I don't have to deal with "time of use" rates.

Dead Things October 6, 2012 10:04 PM

True it makes things a tad complicated, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim_H (Post 660124)
My local power rate is $0.11/KWH

I pay $0.107 6 hrs/weekday, $0.089 6 hrs/weekday and $0.059 12 hrs/weekday + all day on weekends and holidays. Time of use billing is a big plus for folks pulling 24/7 hydro.

SugarJ October 6, 2012 10:15 PM

He's in BC so it's BC hydro. We don't have time of day billing, and it's about nine cents a kwh