Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7, 2012, 07:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Awesome!!!! Welcome to the fold!!!! :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 8, 2012, 07:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yay! Assimilated another one!
Old October 8, 2012, 09:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What WU and what tpf do you get?
Old October 8, 2012, 06:54 PM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
What WU and what tpf do you get?
It's running an 8101 which is currently at 22m01s TPF. It's odd though, sometimes I'll check the computer and FaH is reporting a 32-34 minute TPF and then I'll check again an hour later and it'll be back down to ~22 minutes. Is this kind of variation in frame time normal? I'm not using the folding computer for anything else so FaH is getting a constant amount of processor time.

The last 8101 took 46h47m48s which gives an average TPF of 27m29s if I've worked that out correctly. I had assumed that the TPF would typically stay near the average, as is my experience with regular SMP WUs but this has not been the case with the two 8101s.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:18 AM
Top Prospect

with FAHControl, yes. that's one of the things they have improved already, it's also one of the things that I think they're working on.
Old October 10, 2012, 05:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gafanden View Post
It's running an 8101 which is currently at 22m01s TPF. It's odd though, sometimes I'll check the computer and FaH is reporting a 32-34 minute TPF and then I'll check again an hour later and it'll be back down to ~22 minutes. Is this kind of variation in frame time normal? I'm not using the folding computer for anything else so FaH is getting a constant amount of processor time.

The last 8101 took 46h47m48s which gives an average TPF of 27m29s if I've worked that out correctly. I had assumed that the TPF would typically stay near the average, as is my experience with regular SMP WUs but this has not been the case with the two 8101s.
Gafanden, thanks for the kind words. That's quite the fluctuation for the same unit. I can't say I've ever seen that. Of course, I've seen plenty of 8101's with different TPF from unit to unit, but never variances that high for one unit. Are you sure nothing is running in the background? Also, did you install the Kraken?
Old October 11, 2012, 07:27 AM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeloader1969 View Post
Gafanden, thanks for the kind words. That's quite the fluctuation for the same unit. I can't say I've ever seen that. Of course, I've seen plenty of 8101's with different TPF from unit to unit, but never variances that high for one unit. Are you sure nothing is running in the background? Also, did you install the Kraken?
To be honest, with my inexperience in Linux I'm not sure if anything is running in the background. Since installing Ubuntu 12.04, the only things I've installed were FAHClient 7.1.52, FAHControl (which I run only to check on the unit and then quit when I'm done), and the Kraken. If something else is running, it would have to be a default Ubuntu service but I don't know what that would be.

One thing I do want to double check when I get home today is what the frame times in the log were. I was using FAH Control to check my frame times rather than go straight into the logs and work out the frame times myself. I'm not sure if FAH Control ever makes a mistake in frame times, but I'd at least like to rule that out.

One additional thing is that I checked my average frame time for my second 8101 (taking the overall time to complete the whole WU and dividing it by 100) against the frame times you were getting in the log you posted earlier in this thread and my average frame time is only about 30 seconds longer than most of your frames. This is what's causing me to suspect it might just be FAH Control reporting an incorrect frame time.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Awesome, welcome to the team. Nice to have a big numbers guy on board. Here's to hoping you get your new rig to play nicely.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old October 11, 2012, 09:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gafanden View Post
I'm not sure if anything is running in the background
Do...
Code:
In Terminal - this will give you a live readout of your CPU usage per PID, and if anything is interfering with fah. Use Ctrl-C to exit top, then type exit to close Terminal when done. I doubt you'll find anything interfering, though. My guess is that you'll discover more consistent frame times in fahlog and that fahcontrol is just behaving a bit drunkenly.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old October 11, 2012, 04:09 PM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
Do...
Code:
In Terminal - this will give you a live readout of your CPU usage per PID, and if anything is interfering with fah. Use Ctrl-C to exit top, then type exit to close Terminal when done. I doubt you'll find anything interfering, though. My guess is that you'll discover more consistent frame times in fahlog and that fahcontrol is just behaving a bit drunkenly.
So after a little more investigating, if found that the problem is with fahcontrol and not the folding computer itself. fahcontrol's TPF estimates are off. I imported two of my 8101 logs into a spreadsheet and used that to manually calculate the TPF of each and both units showed consistent TPF numbers. Googling the issue revealed that there's already a ticket out for this problem with fahcontrol but it also doesn't look like it is going to be addressed anytime soon.

Additionally I had top running for a while in the terminal and fah is getting near 100% (or about 2397-2399% as top reports it for 24 cores) cpu usage almost all the time with only unity and xorg taking <1% a few times a minute. So it seems nothing is wrong after all. Awesome.

Thank you guys for all your suggestions.