Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   About folding beer. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/55834-about-folding-beer.html)

BrainEater August 1, 2012 05:11 PM

About folding beer.

Ok......as some of you know I work in a brewery *

I've been toying with the idea of getting some help to brew/bottle a 1off keg and send em (1 l bottles) out to the HWC folding team.I have bad news I'm afraid :

While brewing the beer is no-problemo , me shipping it is totally verboten.It's as illegal as cross-border cigarettes.

It seems here in Canada too , the effing provincial/federal govts , can't get thier shit together to allow cross-border shipments without extreme excise/unfair taxation.Even breweries have super-hassles with shipping.

Personally , just as a beer drinker , this is not the first time I've heard about the cross border issue.I know the wine drinkers in AB/BC have been dealing with this for a while....

I think as Canadians , we need to make the cross-border alcohol problem go away.I want to taste beers from eastern Canada , and I want to be able to send samples to my friends.I have no problem paying a reasonable 1-time excise fee to ship alcohol , but....Is it "Canada" or is it "The provinces Of Canada" ?

I'm going to talk again with some co-workers and a lawyer or two....and I might ask for help from everyone.

...And I know I'm not alone....

GG !!! all I wanted was to send beeers to my friends and now I smell constitutional challenge.

I welcome all and any input /help on this.We need to make these arcane laws go away.

:thumb:

*In no way do I speak for, or represent my employers.

stoanee August 1, 2012 05:18 PM

Mmmmmm.....beer....:biggrin:

BrainEater for El Presidente!

Time to get the General runnin"

BrainEater August 1, 2012 05:24 PM

Hey yer lucky ! I can send you beer no problem , yer in Alberta.

I had a discussion about the whole cross border thang with people in-the-know today .They don't do it......it would be so expensive from a time /effort standpoint it's not worth it....And trust me , they WANT to send out samples.

It's a complex issue right down to the Constitution.That's where it starts.

Wish me luck.

:haha:

enaberif August 1, 2012 05:27 PM

Rent a truck we'll deliver to BC and Saskatchewan.. selling Alberta beer from the back of the truck...

BrainEater August 1, 2012 05:36 PM

Who's driving to Montreal ?

sswilson August 1, 2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrainEater (Post 645946)
Who's driving to Montreal ?

You'd be safe this summer... nobody from the government will be paying attention. :) (Although most folks want to bring beer and cigs in from Quebec, not the other way around) :)

Arinoth August 2, 2012 04:35 AM

I smell a massive road trip to Brain's place.

Sagath August 2, 2012 04:48 AM

So wait...when I drive across the river to Quebec and buy a 40 pack of beer for 40 bucks, that would cost me 80+ here, I'm doing something illegal?

I didnt see any border checkpoints! Crazy, you learn something new every day...Maybe we should change the name to "Semi Conjoined United Provinces of Equalization Payouts to other Provinces of Canada" to better suit what we actually are?:haha:

sswilson August 2, 2012 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagath (Post 646004)
So wait...when I drive across the river to Quebec and buy a 40 pack of beer for 40 bucks, that would cost me 80+ here, I'm doing something illegal?

I didnt see any border checkpoints! Crazy, you learn something new every day...Maybe we should change the name to "Semi Conjoined United Provinces of Equalization Payouts to other Provinces of Canada" to better suit what we actually are?:haha:

I'm pretty sure they make allowances for reasonable personal use.

Arinoth August 2, 2012 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagath (Post 646004)

SCUPEP

It's got quite a ring to it