Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 14, 2012, 09:28 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default A bit of help.

Hey all! I have my new computer built, and I thought what the heck, I can give my night away for folding.

However, I am in need of some help. I cannot for the life of me get Folding@Home to see my MSI Twin Frozr III 7850. Even when set to SMP and GPU, it only uses the CPU. I know AMD's arn't as good as NVIDIA's when it comes to folding, but I would rather still have my GPU mine along side just my CPU. Anyway, could someone help me configure this?
Old June 15, 2012, 02:56 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Among some of the issues that AMD cards have in regards to Folding@Home one major one is that they use too many cpu cycles to be of any significant benefit without much tweaking and experimenting. What you may gain in ppd with the AMD card you'll loose on the cpu side - no net benefit. You'll be better off simply folding with the cpu only.

But this is my opinion.
Old June 15, 2012, 12:00 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingOP3 View Post
Among some of the issues that AMD cards have in regards to Folding@Home one major one is that they use too many cpu cycles to be of any significant benefit without much tweaking and experimenting. What you may gain in ppd with the AMD card you'll loose on the cpu side - no net benefit. You'll be better off simply folding with the cpu only.
Totally agree. An AMD client can consume 25% of cpu, where a nvidia client uses around 1-2%. Nvidia cards doesn't hurt too much the SMP ppd, but i can assure you the AMD will!
Old June 15, 2012, 01:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
Totally agree. An AMD client can consume 25% of cpu, where a nvidia client uses around 1-2%. Nvidia cards doesn't hurt too much the SMP ppd, but i can assure you the AMD will!
Hmmm, that may depend on the PPD of both. My 1055T gets between 6-8k PPD, while my 7950 does about the same - 6-8K PPD. Now, even if I shut off my GPU, I may gain 20-25% on my CPU, that's up to an additional 2K PPD, but I'd be losing up to 8K PPD, that's a net loss of about 6K PPD...

Anyways, to the OP, which client are you using? Are you using V7? What version of video drivers do you have installed? Do you have 'Client-Type: Advanced' set up in V7?

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;