Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 14, 2012, 07:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default vmware folding ????

Ok well i am not new to folding but i am new to this bigadv thing and vr/pc folding i am wondering how many can i have running at the same time thanks for all the help i really have no clue what i am doing with this stuff lol just trying to get as much running as i can
Old June 14, 2012, 07:30 PM

My System Specs

I tried to get a Ubuntu VirtualBox working for the past 2 days. It was a complete failure. I couldn't get shared folders to work. It always showed up as a single core CPU. I just gave up after 3-4 attempts.

If you are using fewer than 8 threads I would just suggest you use the linuxrouter VM. VMware && Linux bigadv folding
Old June 14, 2012, 07:37 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

That's weird, since my rig folds fine using VB 4.1.16, and Linuxrouter's VM for VB.
Old June 14, 2012, 08:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that's what i am using i have an sr2 now and want it to fold as much as i can get it i know nothing about folding just want to know if it's ok what i am doing i have an smp and a cpu folding away on the main os then i have 2 vmware folding smp bigadv
Attached Images

Old June 14, 2012, 08:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well what I learned was that when I virtual Fold, the less the better Meaning that for myself if I ran 1 Virtual folder I got better results then more then one virtual folder
Old June 15, 2012, 06:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes but when i run only one it doesnt push this beast past 30% cpu usage so i want to use what it got to offer
Old June 15, 2012, 06:48 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
yes but when i run only one it doesnt push this beast past 30% cpu usage so i want to use what it got to offer
You could try virtualbox instead of vmware. VB let me use all my 12 cores (100% cpu usage) and you can configure it to use up to 24 threads. A 6903 was the first WU it picked up with -bigbeta -smp 12 -verbosity 9 as flags.
Old June 15, 2012, 07:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya i am not sure what the largest vmware lets you use but these fah one i am running are setup for 8 adn i have no clue how to change that or how to setup a virtual box folding machine without them i am new to all this folding stuff lol.

edit oh adn look it's now using all the cpu power i have to offer so some thing is going right
Old June 15, 2012, 08:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think if you are using virtual box, you can set the number of cores in the settings before you launch the vm. Virtual box lets you select as many cores as you have available (but I don't know how effective VM folding on more than 8 cores is.)

Slide it over to the number of cores you want and then start up the VM. Are you using a ubuntu VM?
Old June 15, 2012, 09:19 AM

My System Specs

I don't get an option to move beyond one CPU.

EDIT: Figured it out I believe.

Last edited by lowfat; June 15, 2012 at 09:30 AM.