Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   CPU vs GPU (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/53978-cpu-vs-gpu.html)

Chasingu May 4, 2012 08:44 PM

CPU vs GPU

Hey all you canucks.

Its a bit odd, an American going to be hopefully folding in the next couple months for a Canadian Team, but hey, why not.

I have a question about folding however.

I'm getting a i5 2500K (3.3GHz) processor which I will be overclocking hopefully to 4.2GHz. I am getting a MSI Radeon HD 6870 Twin Frozr II Graphics card. Bare in mind, this machine is built for gaming, and I plan to dedicating the night (and idle time) when I am asleep to fold. So, here's the question, should I use both the CPU and GPU to fold, only the GPU, or only the CPU?

stoanee May 4, 2012 08:48 PM

Yes it is a bit odd but welcome! I would try folding with one, the other, and then both, all the while keeping track of your ppd to see which one nets the best output.

lowfat May 4, 2012 09:29 PM

If it were me I'd do CPU only. AMD videocards just aren't efficient enough when it comes to folding.

Chasingu May 4, 2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 626747)
If it were me I'd do CPU only. AMD videocards just aren't efficient enough when it comes to folding.

I've been hearing that too. Alrighty, so will a 4.2 GHz overclock on a Quad-core i5 2500K be decent for Folding?

3.0charlie May 5, 2012 07:39 AM

Yes, it will output some nice SMP numbers. 4.2 should not be a problem to reach, pending the CPU's cooling performance. My ex-2500k managed 4.7 (under load) with a Noctua HSF.

Chasingu May 5, 2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 626793)
Yes, it will output some nice SMP numbers. 4.2 should not be a problem to reach, pending the CPU's cooling performance. My ex-2500k managed 4.7 (under load) with a Noctua HSF.

Im planning on using the Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler.

Arinoth May 5, 2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 626747)

Or really yield that much ppd compared to cpu or nvidia gpu folding

LoTech May 5, 2012 08:40 AM

I think I would go nvidia myself if I wanted to fold on both. Say a gtx 570, here in the great white north they can be had for about 310$ cdn. Also a big welcome as well!

3.0charlie May 5, 2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chasingu (Post 626797)
Im planning on using the Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler.

Perfect choice. :thumb:

Chasingu May 5, 2012 08:01 PM

Well, after consolting with a few members on this site, I have gone for a EVGA GeForceŽ GTX 560 Ti FPB Graphics Card because their recomendations and my budget allows the upgrade just enough so that I am not over budget, and if I read this thread correctly, when I fold at night I can also add this one too.