Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2012, 03:44 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Run while Idle?

Is there anyway to make Folding@home only run when the computer is idle?
Old May 3, 2012, 05:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not that I know of - the closest thing I got to this was to use Task Scheduler to fold during off-peak hours, and set the computer just to sleep at other times. (and then wake up to fold)

Although you won't run the same project (and therefore cannot brag about points), you can use BOINC (boinc.berkeley.edu) and join other computing projects - I've participated in World Community Grid, GPUGrid, and Rosetta@Home on the HWC team.
BOINC has settings (I think they're by default!) that the compute projects stop when you touch the keyboard or mouse (joystick and XBOX controller doesn't count) and start up again after an idle time that you pick.
Old May 3, 2012, 06:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

As stated above, BOINC only uses your computer while idle. Feel free to join our Rosetta@home team here: HardwareCanucks
Old May 4, 2012, 07:34 AM
Top Prospect

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there used to be this function, I believe it used to be called "screen saver" or something like that. There has also been some talk about bring the screen saver back with the new V7 client. There are no timelines but they are things that Vijay Pande has put these thoughts on the folding forum. I think that it could work that way.

The built in scheduler works quite well to keep FAH out of the way of other programs. The GPU can cause some lag but the CPU/SMP client works well. if it's being to much of a hog you could always set it to only work at 90%, 86%, 80% ... or at whatever level works best for you

Edit: Just found the same topic being discussed on the folding forum
Folding Forum • View topic - Client Feature Request: Run tasks only when PC idle

Last edited by Tim_H; May 4, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old May 4, 2012, 03:59 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I hope they add this feature by the time I am ready to start folding, which probably won't happen until I get my new computer.