Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2012, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not going to start a new forum yet but getting odd issues on my 3 systems, they all have the video lock up after about an hour but it keeps folding, even though my mouse wont move at all:S is there a away to lower how much of the system it uses or should I just lower my overclocks while folding?

If you need me the link above is where I spend my days now

Last edited by Soullessone21; March 27, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old March 27, 2012, 09:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I noticed my system would lock up just like yours while overclocked. Or the drivers would crash. or the system would randomly restart. And I'm talking a 100MHZ overclock on either the 5830 or the 7950. I reset the 5830 to stock, and it worked fine, and I brought the 7950 up from 880MHZ to 900MHZ, so a 20MHZ OC and now it also runs stable.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it has something to do with the drivers. But I'm not enough of an expert to know. I'd suggest removing your OC from your cards and seeing if they run stable.

EDIT: If you're using V7 client, there is a way to 'limit' the CPU to a certain percentage, but I don't think that's available for the GPU.

What you CAN do, however, is configure your GPUs to run 'advanced' work units. In V7 go:
Configure-->Slots-->select gpu then click edit-->scroll down to 'Extra slot options' and click 'Add'
Under Name type: client-type
Under Value type: advanced

This will allow you to receive x16 cores, which are optimised for openCL. I don't think it'll affect your freezing issue, but you should get a few more ppd.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; March 27, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old March 27, 2012, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks I will try that tonight.

Wifes system FX 4100 is set at
Stock 3.6Ghz 4 Core
Current 4.2Ghz 4 Core
GPU's
Dual 7770 1GB Ghz Edition
Stock 1Ghz
Current 1.1Ghz

My Tower FX 8150
Stock 3.6Ghz on 8 Cores
Current 4.99 Ghz on 8 Cores 24/7
Gpu
6970 under water CUII
Stock ?? haha
Current 100mhz over stock

Both these systems will be our main folders for now till my Opteron server is up and going and it can plug into my parents power grid next door

I just want to help in any way I can :) thanks for all the assistance guys :)

Old March 27, 2012, 10:29 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

My HD5750 ran fine with an over clock, can't remember off the top of my head what I had it up to. I found that an OC didn't make any difference at all in the cards production. It kicked out ~3 WUs a day, 1835 pts each. Once every few days it kicked out a 4th unit. So your newer cards are getting fairly similiar numbers comparatively and in line with what I have been hearing. AMD cards get the bone on folding. My personal system crapped out (first psu, then mobo caught fire) so that card is not folding right now.

I just had a GTX8800 Ultra, and a GTX 275 Coop (GTX275 and GTS250 combined on one card) that kicked out a total of about ~20K ppd combined. All of that was at stock. Ran into driver issues, but I am not changing those yet. The folding was just stability testing anyways, while I wait for my co worker to decide what he is doing with the pile of his parts I am sitting on. Going to tinker with it some more, if I had a bigger power supply with more PCIE connectors I could ramp up another 8800 Ultra for another 8k ppd.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old March 27, 2012, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

New super kewl folding issue... It turned all our computers on and started folding at lunch time today... My wife turned all the computers off this morning and this afternoon called me to say the 2 folding computers turned on and started folding for no reason... she says neither has frozen yet so that's a plus but is this normal?

Old March 27, 2012, 03:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bahahahaha, that's hilarious. Never heard of this.

Then again, my computer stays on and folds 24/7, so i don't really give it a chance to do what you've described.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 27, 2012, 03:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

ummmm....Maximum Overdrive anyone?
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old March 27, 2012, 04:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow does this folding thing confuse me so.. haha on my time off I will spend more time figuring it all out :) once my new parts show up I will get a low power consumption system up and going and it can fold all day and night and have its fun :)

Old March 27, 2012, 05:37 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post
New super kewl folding issue... It turned all our computers on and started folding at lunch time today... My wife turned all the computers off this morning and this afternoon called me to say the 2 folding computers turned on and started folding for no reason... she says neither has frozen yet so that's a plus but is this normal?
No. They may start folding on startup, but its not possible to come on all on their own.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 27, 2012, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Chrisk is right for some reason when we were messing with both our systems we turned on wake on lan

System bluescreened during the day so now I have my system back to a normal clock of 4ghz not 4.99 and its seems to be ok far more stable multitasking and folding at the same time :)