Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2012, 06:33 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Folding? Nah...try growing dandelions!

Thought this was interesting this am in the National Post:
Quote:
Cancer researchers in Windsor, Ont., hope to start clinical trials soon to find out if dandelion root extract can kill cancer cells in humans without harming healthy cells.

Lab tests so far confirm that dandelion root extract causes cancer cells from leukemia blood samples to die off.
“It triggers a very specific kind of suicide,” said Dr. Siyaram Pandey, a biochemist at the University of Windsor, of the process.
The extract only targeted cancer cells and not healthy cells. Dr. Pandey said the same cell suicide result was observed when the dandelion root extract was applied to other types of cancers, including bone cancer, pancreatic cancer, colon cancer and neuroblastoma.

Research conducted in mice has shown no toxicity either, Dr. Pandey said, and it showed the dandelion root extract had no side effects.
Dandelion root extract may fight cancerous cells, researchers say | News | National Post
Fold for team #54196
Old February 21, 2012, 07:03 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

My dad just got a bag of dandelion root from one of these doctors on Friday. Since it's still in its natural form, it's considered herbal treatment and they don't need FDA approval to administer to people. My dad actually has information from third parties that this is quite effective, so he's optimistic that it will be beneficial for him as well.

Supposedly you brew a tea from the root, drink it 4 times a day for best results.
Old February 21, 2012, 08:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I remember tasting dandelions as a kid (hey, kids will put anything in their mouths....that's why the catholic church got into trouble (I kid, I kid)) and remember them being horrible and bitter.

I wonder if the roots brewed into a tea taste any different.

On another note, I wonder if putting 'mushrooms' on a pizza can be considered homeopathic therapy..

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old February 21, 2012, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's very cool that a common "weed" could possibly have some potential to treat/cure certain forms of cancer with no side effects like chemo or radiation. Time to start growing dandelions in the garden.
Old February 21, 2012, 09:12 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
It's very cool that a common "weed" could possibly have some potential to treat/cure certain forms of cancer with no side effects like chemo or radiation. Time to start growing dandelions in the garden.
Looks like you have a head start on the dandelion eating front...
Fold for team #54196
Old February 21, 2012, 09:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

my Grand parents used to make Dandelion Wine I wonder if it would do the same lol
Old February 21, 2012, 09:58 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

hm, interesting article, thanks for the post :)
Old February 21, 2012, 10:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

so we can stop fiolding now? sell the rigs and grow dandelions in the balcony or garage?
Old February 21, 2012, 11:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do all cancer researchers have basically the same name? lol

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old February 21, 2012, 12:05 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Sweet seems like my parents have been growing a cure for caner on their lawn for years.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.