Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks [email protected] Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Folding? Nah...try growing dandelions! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/51805-folding-nah-try-growing-dandelions.html)

chrisk February 21, 2012 07:33 AM

Folding? Nah...try growing dandelions!

Thought this was interesting this am in the National Post:
Quote:

Cancer researchers in Windsor, Ont., hope to start clinical trials soon to find out if dandelion root extract can kill cancer cells in humans without harming healthy cells.

Lab tests so far confirm that dandelion root extract causes cancer cells from leukemia blood samples to die off.
It triggers a very specific kind of suicide, said Dr. Siyaram Pandey, a biochemist at the University of Windsor, of the process.
The extract only targeted cancer cells and not healthy cells. Dr. Pandey said the same cell suicide result was observed when the dandelion root extract was applied to other types of cancers, including bone cancer, pancreatic cancer, colon cancer and neuroblastoma.

Research conducted in mice has shown no toxicity either, Dr. Pandey said, and it showed the dandelion root extract had no side effects.

Dandelion root extract may fight cancerous cells, researchers say | News | National Post

krazyups February 21, 2012 08:03 AM

My dad just got a bag of dandelion root from one of these doctors on Friday. Since it's still in its natural form, it's considered herbal treatment and they don't need FDA approval to administer to people. My dad actually has information from third parties that this is quite effective, so he's optimistic that it will be beneficial for him as well.

Supposedly you brew a tea from the root, drink it 4 times a day for best results.

great_big_abyss February 21, 2012 09:29 AM

I remember tasting dandelions as a kid (hey, kids will put anything in their mouths....that's why the catholic church got into trouble:rofl: (I kid, I kid)) and remember them being horrible and bitter.

I wonder if the roots brewed into a tea taste any different.

On another note, I wonder if putting 'mushrooms' on a pizza can be considered homeopathic therapy..

dandelioneater February 21, 2012 10:04 AM

It's very cool that a common "weed" could possibly have some potential to treat/cure certain forms of cancer with no side effects like chemo or radiation. Time to start growing dandelions in the garden:punk:.

chrisk February 21, 2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dandelioneater (Post 604187)
It's very cool that a common "weed" could possibly have some potential to treat/cure certain forms of cancer with no side effects like chemo or radiation. Time to start growing dandelions in the garden:punk:.

Looks like you have a head start on the dandelion eating front...

Shadowmeph February 21, 2012 10:14 AM

my Grand parents used to make Dandelion Wine I wonder if it would do the same lol

Mathus February 21, 2012 10:58 AM

hm, interesting article, thanks for the post :)

MARSTG February 21, 2012 11:42 AM

so we can stop fiolding now? sell the rigs and grow dandelions in the balcony or garage?

Dead Things February 21, 2012 12:09 PM

Do all cancer researchers have basically the same name? lol

Silent_Avenger February 21, 2012 01:05 PM

Sweet seems like my parents have been growing a cure for caner on their lawn for years.