Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2012, 10:57 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. There really are two camps of folders: the traditional target audience who use their existing hardware for folding, and the balls-to-the-wall group of crazies. I might argue this calls for either two episodes or two parts to the same episode:

1) How to use the new V7 client in Windows so that you can use your existing hardware to help find a cure for various diseases and earn fun points at the same time.

2) How to throw caution to the wind with reckless abandon and build a big-bad machine for earning even more fun points and doing even more science.

It sounds like it's #2 that you have in mind, Linus, but I think you might be better-served with offering part 1 first. Otherwise, I fear that an earlier commenter might be correct in that people will assume you NEED a 2P or 4P machine to fold, which is most certainly not the case.
i don't think we are the reckless type.. i have done the whole v7 / windows / gpu / i7 OC bit..

going to 4p is just in reaction to the changes to bigadv

-joe
Old February 15, 2012, 07:16 PM

This is a fantastic thread. Still looking for a solid candidate to be the one to come in and be featured on the episode (if you want) or just walk me through things.

At this point I've decided on a couple of things.

1. We will be doing two episodes. How to get your gaming rig folding while you're not doing anything.
2. How to build something a little bit on the crazy side. I only have access to the two opterons and the dual socket board, so it won't be as crazy as some of you folks, but it will be a little bit crazy and we can cover the advantages of separating out CPU and GPU folding machines as part of this episode.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old February 15, 2012, 07:23 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Building a 2p rig dedicated to folding is crazy enough - then just finish the episode with a few shots of our own rigs, to show what's possible... still haven't found a folder local to you? Damn, if I'd be closer I'd do it.
Old February 15, 2012, 07:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If I had any 2p experience I'd help you out. My linux folding has all been single CPU though.
Old February 15, 2012, 08:08 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Not much difference between 1p and MP. It's just a matter of installing TheKraken for the MP and setting NUMA properly.
Old February 15, 2012, 08:32 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
This is a fantastic thread. Still looking for a solid candidate to be the one to come in and be featured on the episode (if you want) or just walk me through things.

At this point I've decided on a couple of things.

1. We will be doing two episodes. How to get your gaming rig folding while you're not doing anything.
2. How to build something a little bit on the crazy side. I only have access to the two opterons and the dual socket board, so it won't be as crazy as some of you folks, but it will be a little bit crazy and we can cover the advantages of separating out CPU and GPU folding machines as part of this episode.
This is a great approach. The main advantage will be electricity/heat savings per PPD for the 2P systems vs the GPU setups.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 15, 2012, 08:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You might want to give an overview of F@H GPU Tracker 2 for the first episode. Leaving your clients running while gaming will impact performance, especially GPU clients and CPUs with hyperthreading. Very easy to setup and pauses clients automatically when a game .exe is detected.

It's going to be an outdated client once the 6.xx clients get phased out though.
Old February 16, 2012, 08:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you want a CPU/GPU combined folder, I guess best idea is making a VM that will use the SMP folding under Linux, and fold on the GPU under Windows. Windows 7 can handle 2P machines fine, but I think for 4P you will need Windows Server versions and I don't know how well they fold. And Linus, if you have the occasion, will you squeeze in there a GT430 just to have some more info on that? In light of this I guess the job would have to be split between a 2P/4P episode and a GPU folder.
Old February 16, 2012, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtktam View Post
i don't think we are the reckless type..
Ha! I think She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed might argue with you on that one!

Follow my benching, folding, mining and miscellaneous shenanigans @dt_oc