Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 14, 2012, 02:21 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
In my experience, eight threads is usually around the cut-off of where it stops making sense to combine GPU and CPU folding. My guess is that you are probably coming out ahead with both, but not by as much as you might think. So if it's just raw PPD you're after, then I'm sure the status quo will work for you.

The main metric that most concerns me, though, is PPD/W. I try to limit myself to 30 amps for folding due to the cost of hydro. So squeezing as much PPD out of every watt is important to me. And unfortunately, PPD/W is not a metric on which GPU folding does well. So if you pay for your own hydro, you may find that the extra little bit of PPD you net from running both clients simply isn't worth the extra hydro costs.
Agreed indeed. ppd / w and ppd / $ can be closely related, or as far apart as you wish. Quick returns are of the GPU realm, where as QRB (Quick Return Bonus) mandate a 2p/4p rig. Such rigs demand deep pockets, but in return can produce 10x the ppd that the best GPU can produce. Such as this, single rig:

That's the sole reason why I went 4p: ppd / $ and ppd / w (505W under full load). Nowhere near the heat generated by a GPU setup, and it could be dead silent too if I had chosen to use Noctua HSFs instead of the Dynatrons.

I second DT's comment about having a folder local to GVR to sit down, and actually go through the process of building a rig (component choices), and going about the OS install, optimization and eventually the Client setup. Doing so, you make sure you understand the intricacies of folding, and by the same token you can confirm that nothing was forgotten. 'cause in the end, the rig will be folding...
Old February 14, 2012, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Here's my 2 cents.

I run windows clients only because I run GPU's too.The gpu clients are best in windows . I've played around with the whole VM thang etc......yea I could get more points , but I like easy.

If you are going to do a primer on folding , you should do a windows one , because more people use windows .End of story.

.....And I'm very curious what a 30+ core server running GPU's can do.You only need 1 core for the gpu's.

edit : I use the heat for my house so.....
Old February 14, 2012, 02:32 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

501k ppd from one rig I am SO doing this folding thing wrong. Time to start saving my pennies.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old February 14, 2012, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
501k ppd from one rig I am SO doing this folding thing wrong. Time to start saving my pennies.
It doesnt matter how you do it , you need lots of pennies !!

My main rig gets 85 k , all in windows.

Old February 14, 2012, 02:36 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post

600 a pop, times 4. Plus 900 for the board. Even though I do use it too to heat the garage, it's the power consumption / ppd that sold me.
Old February 14, 2012, 07:25 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post

600 a pop, times 4. Plus 900 for the board. Even though I do use it too to heat the garage, it's the power consumption / ppd that sold me.
:) 4p bros

-joe
Old February 14, 2012, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Alright. Maybe I'll hit up Dead Things as I'm pretty green at all of this stuff (including Linux). Would be handy if I could find someone local, but I'll settle for whatever I can get. Not even sure where to begin as I have zero experience with various Linux distros etc.

3.0Charlie, is there a reason you are not using GPUs and CPUs in the same rig? Which is more efficient in terms of PPD/$ these days? I was planning to configure the dual Opteron machine with some GPUs as well, but is that not recommended?
For someone local, talk to Xeven. I believe he is on the UBC campus.
Old February 14, 2012, 07:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post

I have an unheated, insulated garage that is about 4 degrees C ambient right now. Not worried about the cost, it would be so worth it. Just got to get this higher in the priority list than some minor house renos, landscaping, and so forth.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old February 15, 2012, 08:11 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I would definitely want to go 4P later on, just need to be able to justify it to the GF. As it is I turn off my computers at night b/c they are too loud and it keeps my GF up. :S
Old February 15, 2012, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
If you are going to do a primer on folding , you should do a windows one , because more people use windows .End of story.
I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. There really are two camps of folders: the traditional target audience who use their existing hardware for folding, and the balls-to-the-wall group of crazies. I might argue this calls for either two episodes or two parts to the same episode:

1) How to use the new V7 client in Windows so that you can use your existing hardware to help find a cure for various diseases and earn fun points at the same time.

2) How to throw caution to the wind with reckless abandon and build a big-bad machine for earning even more fun points and doing even more science.

It sounds like it's #2 that you have in mind, Linus, but I think you might be better-served with offering part 1 first. Otherwise, I fear that an earlier commenter might be correct in that people will assume you NEED a 2P or 4P machine to fold, which is most certainly not the case.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!