Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19, 2012, 09:49 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

A competition that lasts for a year it would be difficult to maintain participant's enthusiasm and interest. Personally, though, I like the idea.

Having a third party announce the start time is good idea too, although there will be a lot of resistance from those that crunch the bigger WUs. Some people like the idea of being able to time their work units.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old February 19, 2012, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yea a years too long after second thought.3 months mebbie ?

It can't be a week tho , it needs to reflect permanent user increase.

----

And timing work units is out.That's priming.

We need to make the rules in such a way that fooling around with the clients in any way is irrelevant.

Old February 19, 2012, 01:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
... it needs to reflect permanent user increase.
This is where we will run into the most problems, implementing this in a fair and equitable manner. Is it a percentage of active users? This will get the larger teams howling the most, especially a team like EVGA that has more active members than we have total.

Another thing to think of, wouldn't we be violating the spirit of this type of competition set up when people who normally fold for other teams add their weight to us for the CC?

Not trying to dismiss your ideas, but whatever ideas we take to the CC council have to be thoughout from all angles first.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old February 19, 2012, 03:23 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Where or how are all the team captains meeting/communicating ? (just curious )

We have an third-party forum where we can all (read: captains) discuss openly.

Keep those ideas coming, we'll eventually come about one that makes sense. It's interesting though how difficult it has become to establish a set of rules, for a program where participation is voluntary. It shows how the competition aspect has really become part of Distributed Computing.
Old February 19, 2012, 05:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Another thing that has been mentioned is the HPCS folding. I know some have mentioned that the CC should use pre HPCS production as a basis for the CC as the numbers will be skewed. While I tend to agree with that, we have to remember that the competition itself will be skewed because of the HPCS folding. Somebody WILL use the points boost for the competition. Personally, I see nothing wrong with that, it is definitely something to be considered by the council while ironing out the rules of this year's CC.
Old February 20, 2012, 03:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
We have an third-party forum where we can all (read: captains) discuss openly.

Keep those ideas coming, we'll eventually come about one that makes sense. It's interesting though how difficult it has become to establish a set of rules, for a program where participation is voluntary. It shows how the competition aspect has really become part of Distributed Computing.
Ah ok good....I thought you must have to have a forum somewhere.I realize captains only for the main discussion is a must , but wherever you guys are doing it , would you consider a public forum too ?

I've started a thread over at [H]ard OCP forums , letting em know the status of the chimp challenge.
At the moment , here's where they stand :

Quote [H]ard Ape : " I'm out. "

That's cool , I understand completely , and thats where we'll mark em down........But there is a modicum of interest there.It's all up to the rules cap'ns.

---------------

Here's the one rule I'm going to push.

It's to eliminate "priming".....the random , un-announced start.Allow me to explain ;

Chimp Challenge starts say may5 @ 12 pm.That's the time EVERYONE needs to get thier rigs going by.Full bore , giver.

Then , at some point in the next 48 hours a third party* fires the starting gun.That when the stats start getting collected.....and the bang from the gun is'nt heard till 24 hours after the start....

I've heard some whining from the -bigadv guys about this , but I don't give a shit.....It's random , it affects everyone evenly , luck of the draw.

------

..And HPCS has got to be out.Even If I have to goto Hewlett Packard and ask them to shut it off for 2 weeks.Don't think I'm not serious.

-----

* I bet professor Vijay Pande would fire the starting gun if we asked nicely.

Old February 20, 2012, 03:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
..And HPCS has got to be out.Even If I have to goto Hewlett Packard and ask them to shut it off for 2 weeks.Don't think I'm not serious.

-----

* I bet professor Vijay Pande would fire the starting gun if we asked nicely.

HPCS will be the most difficult part to enforce. How can you prove that somebody is or isn't using their servers to fold with? If a screen shot of HFM is required by teams to validate entry you can name those instances anything you want. I can guarantee that somebody WILL use them to fold on for the competition, even if the rules specifically forbid it.

Its funny cause I was thinking the same thing about Prof. Pande last night.
Old February 20, 2012, 03:35 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

We are aware of [H], and my position is that the CC is not complete without any Team that wishes to participate, and that includes [H].

As for HPCS, any Team can use their services just like we do. How can we track this non-usage? Impossible. Should you ask? You sure can try, but what is the disadvantage of any Team using HPCS? Remember, they could pull the plug during the CC, fubar'ing those that use their services...

Double-edge sword, if you ask me.
Old February 20, 2012, 03:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm a little unsure as to why points from HPCS are that big of an issue... Surely lots of people generate points (especially during the CC) on rigs they don't own. They get permission to run f@h on work machines, their friends & families etc. All teams have had equal chance to sign up for & use this resource afaik, what's the big deal?

HWC Overclocking Team, breaking hardware for fun!

Team Thread
Old February 20, 2012, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Chimp Challenge is a worldwide thing.

If the captains are going to tell me that the teams from Russia/Austrailia/Europe/etc are using as much HPCS as the north american teams then fine , I have no issue.

I have 50$ right now that says we can get HPCS to shutoff for the first 2 weeks of may.Say the word , I'll email em tomorrow.