Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 14, 2012, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Scanning the other teams threads it looks like the interest is still there, a few with wounded pride, but still interested.
Old February 14, 2012, 05:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

Not trying to derail the Chimp Challenge or anything, just a thought...

If the purpose of the Chimp Challenge is indeed to promote folding & bring new folders into the "program" I propose that we ditch the current competition aspect of the challenge and take a new more righteous direction... A pure points competition would pretty much be a race involving only the top three teams... A handicap system is probably just going to result in another whining/complaining/bitch fest like it did last year...which I'm sure turned a lot of people off from the competition (me included) and folding in general. Why not have an all out MASSIVE DISPLAY OF FOLDING POWER where everybody from all teams who want to contribute get together and fold under one username and one team... (Team Earth or something) That way we can see what the community can do as a whole if we all work together... no winners... no losers... no whiners... no complainers... There would only be one winner in such a competition... THE FOLDING COMMUNITY... in subsequent years we could strive to improve on the previous year's display of powa.

This I believe would be a great incentive for new people to join in and become part of the folding community...
Old February 14, 2012, 05:27 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting.
Old February 14, 2012, 05:29 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

How about a 'folding@home vs. xxxxx distributed computing' effort?

Not sure how it would work, but just an adaptation of your idea Boggsy.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 14, 2012, 05:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

Either that or perhaps challenge a supercomputer somewhere... That would be a blast if we could convince one to take on the challenge...
Old February 14, 2012, 08:04 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Yea I like the idea of everyone folding as a whole or everyone vs a super computer or super computers(HPCS ). I would def pull my ~150,000 ppw from my main team and put it towards something like that.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.

Last edited by Silent_Avenger; February 14, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old February 15, 2012, 06:21 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtrotter59 View Post
Not trying to derail the Chimp Challenge or anything, just a thought...

If the purpose of the Chimp Challenge is indeed to promote folding & bring new folders into the "program" I propose that we ditch the current competition aspect of the challenge and take a new more righteous direction... A pure points competition would pretty much be a race involving only the top three teams... A handicap system is probably just going to result in another whining/complaining/bitch fest like it did last year...which I'm sure turned a lot of people off from the competition (me included) and folding in general. Why not have an all out MASSIVE DISPLAY OF FOLDING POWER where everybody from all teams who want to contribute get together and fold under one username and one team... (Team Earth or something) That way we can see what the community can do as a whole if we all work together... no winners... no losers... no whiners... no complainers... There would only be one winner in such a competition... THE FOLDING COMMUNITY... in subsequent years we could strive to improve on the previous year's display of powa.

This I believe would be a great incentive for new people to join in and become part of the folding community...
I like this.
and would mean we were the last single team champions lol.
I like how evga has random donated prizes for there folding comps, not that i need any incentive to fold other than my own personal reasons. free hardware lures people in who may not have the personal motives for folding...

Skywalker - Q6600(GO)+P5Q Pro turbo+HD5870+HX750
Hansolo - X4 925+M4A785-M+HD6850+OCZ500W
Chewbacca - Q6600(GO)+P5G41-M+OCZ500W
DEATHSTARMini - Zotac N330 mini ITX

Old February 15, 2012, 06:39 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I like the idea of some friendly competition.I like the idea of F@H vs other distributed computing communities or just the going heads up against a super computer :)
Old February 15, 2012, 06:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandL View Post
I like this.
and would mean we were the last single team champions lol.
I like how evga has random donated prizes for there folding comps, not that i need any incentive to fold other than my own personal reasons. free hardware lures people in who may not have the personal motives for folding...

Unfortunately some folks take offense to the awarding of goodies related to the folding projects/contests. They maintain that folding should be 100% free of incentives. That seems to be the bone of contention for one of the original teams and some folders will not take part in the competition because of it.
Old February 15, 2012, 08:57 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Need to define the purpose of the Chimps Challenge & go from there. Is it to promote folding & bring new folders into the "program?" Is it a pure points competition? Different teams will have different perceptions and expectations.
Agree. I suspect this is something the captains are going to have to figure out and define before we can really continue this discussion
Closed Thread