Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2012, 02:04 PM
Top Prospect

In the early days of the CC, it was a race between two sub-teams, so the "change required" was used to identify the points of the sub-teams, from their parent team.

After the CC became a whole team race, that need was obsolete, but has been used as a kind of "loyalty" or "elite" test by teams - and of course, required by the CC.

For (going on) 5 years now, we've been hearing how the racers want to be able to keep their own folding handle, while they race. I wasn't in favor of it before, but changed my mind when I saw the internal dissension that happens to teams when they join the CC (some folders won't change, others insist they should, name calling starts, etc.). I've come to the conclusion that not requiring a name change, is the better path forward for the CC.

There are ways to handicap this for the first CC that uses it, btw. Teams that have a high turnout now, won't be put at a disadvantage if it's used. A team that had 60% participation has their points basis from last year, bumped by 40%, for example. A team with 90% participation has their basis bumped by only 10%. A high basis, means you have more of a handicap to overcome in the race.

I can't keep telling folders that I hear their requests for no name change in the race, year after year, and not act on it. After five years, it's time to give this idea a chance. That's why I'm recommending it.

I can't recommend anything for Mars, but here's an interesting fact:

Over 400 people have already volunteered to be on a ONE WAY space trip, to Mars.
Old April 17, 2012, 02:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hell if i had a chance to go to mars, I would be more then willing to sacrifice my life for further research in the field.
Old April 17, 2012, 04:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post

I can't keep telling folders that I hear their requests for no name change in the race, year after year, and not act on it. After five years, it's time to give this idea a chance. That's why I'm recommending it.
You asked for a poll, we responded (unanimously so far I might add). The members here don't appear to agree with the proposal to just take the team points rather than use a designated "chimp folder".

That being said, it's whatever our captains agree to. They have been awarded the responsibility to speak for us, and we'll abide by whatever rules they come back to us with.

I do appreciate you posting all the options as they come along, some of them are very interesting. Let us not forget that the whole CC evolved from a straight out points race between 3 teams to the "handicap" style which allowed 9 or 10 teams to compete for the prize.
Old April 17, 2012, 05:38 PM
Top Prospect

Just wanted it known that a team with high participation last year, need not be penalized for making this change.

The "Will not be penalized" is up to the captains. I've explained the process to handicap this, in detail to them.

The first two CC races were held between just two sub-teams: The Spyder Monkeys of MaxPC vs. the Folding Monkeys (Gary's sub-team), on my team, Overclockers.com.

There were no whole teams in those first two races - although because of trash talking and a bit too much testosterone, it quickly engulfed more than just those two sub teams original members.
Old April 17, 2012, 06:32 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Adak your posts are entirely appreciated.

I prefer to have a folding name, and nothing is stopping us from doing that, as well as the entire team. We could take the entire team's points, and then have a bunch of folks fold under the CC name as well if it suits them.

My feelings, as well as many around here, is to not make too much of a fuss about any of the proposed systems as we just want the race to happen.

For the most part, I have been trying to keep my opinions in the CC captains forum, and taking questions back here for clarification. Right now, I am waiting for something that looks like a near final proposal to bring back here.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 17, 2012, 06:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well....

I vote for Kw/user...hehe

I think I like the idea of multiple (diff category) races at the same time....

-----

If it comes down to changing our names V.S. applying math to simulate 'changing names' I'll just switch em thanks.

Old April 18, 2012, 03:18 AM
Top Prospect

It appears the categories idea is catching on, atm, after stumbling a bit.

The "math" part (for a change in how we enroll in the CC), would be a one time thing - not needed in any subsequent years. Of the teams in the last CC that we've gotten feedback from, three are against the change (HWC and OCN). OCAU is polling against it by one vote, so almost 50/50 percent there. The rest are for it.

Do we have someone from HWC/NCIX for the web site set up for this year? What kind of lead time will be needed after the race details are finalized?

The starting date of May 11th or immediately thereafter, has been suggested, since the HPCS "free cloud folding" service will be ending on the 10th of May.

I was reading through some history posts on your team recently. I knew that Pete Scout had helped start your team, but I did not that Zim01 was involved as well. I barely knew Pete, but Zim01 was a folder I had great respect for. He was an (unofficial) leader on Overclockers.com, in one of the early CC races. Really turned our team around! We stomped those MaxPC Monkeys, that year.

Last edited by Adak; April 18, 2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old April 18, 2012, 05:15 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

If it wouldn't have been for Peter and Zim, our team would have started much later. Unfortunately Peter left us for a better place early 2009.
Old April 18, 2012, 05:17 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post

Do we have someone from HWC/NCIX for the web site set up for this year? What kind of lead time will be needed after the race details are finalized?
It was HWC (not NCIX) that did the website last year. The site admin mentioned a few weeks ago that they wanted our formula so that they could have time to set it up. If we wait too long (or it may already be too late) they may not be able to set up the stats page. (I brought it up in the CC captains forum some time ago).
Fold for team #54196
Old April 18, 2012, 06:25 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
If it wouldn't have been for Peter and Zim, our team would have started much later. Unfortunately Peter left us for a better place early 2009.
Yes, I knew about Pete's losing his fight to cancer. I have no idea whatever happened to Zim01 however.

ChrisK, I read your post, but I did not have access to the CC forum, when you wrote it. Can you get an update for us, on this. That website was smashing!
Closed Thread