Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2012, 03:18 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Do we have new rules in place yet?!
Old April 10, 2012, 04:27 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
Do we have new rules in place yet?!
No. I have taken up the task of working out the details for ONE type of CC. Xavier will (if he approves), present it to the other CC captains.
Old April 10, 2012, 04:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
It has been suggested that we take the whole team's points, and add them into the CC. That stops asking everyone to change their folding name and passkey.

Would that be OK for the CC?
Yep , I've seen many comments in all our forums about this.I agree 100% ! the name change is a pain , and besides , we ALL want to have full points , There's lotsa users that don't switch.

-----

Lotta good ideas floating around in this thread guys !

I agree this year should probably be something simple , even a straight drag race.

I'll suggest again it's about promoting folding.

I have the first point for HWC : I am a hot second from recruiting a new user for our team . I know 3/xx machines fold .... heh !

Old April 10, 2012, 06:52 PM
Top Prospect

I will include the whole team points feature in my recommendation for the CC. I'm working out the points format in more detail, atm.

HWC still OK to handle the website?
Old April 10, 2012, 07:59 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

The whole point of folding under one username was to build team unity and excitement in a contest for folding as a team, or a nation under one banner. Its main purpose was to set aside ego and come together to show what folding is all about: the science and the research. In my opinion if you throw out the one user name, you may as well just look at any statistics page on any given day and confirm what everyone already knows.

It may be a bit of a hassle to switch but it also showed how much a team was behind the effort of the contest and getting everyone together to fold under a common purpose.

I fail to see a point of a contest if people continue to put their ego ahead of everything else. It started out as just a couple of teams competeting perhaps it should go back to that and teams should just have friendly rivalaries.
Old April 10, 2012, 09:21 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for that input, CoreX5. I feel the same way, however there are realities that aren't well handled by requiring the username and password change:

1) Several folders have multiple pc's. Some are not located nearby. All will require time and attention to be changed over to the racing name and passkey, and then changed back again.

If you have multiple "borg" locations, this is not trivial.

2) This is something that has been suggested for many years, but never tried. We want to try out SOME new formats, when they keep being suggested, imo. If we don't like it, then we change it back, and know it isn't something to be used in the near future.

You can't say that you're really considering suggestions, if you never try them out.

Total points will rule in the unlimited bracket, but not in the handicap bracket.

In any case, the CC captains are free to change any of these suggestions, as they wish.

I know you're not expecting the CC format to change people's ego-centric viewpoint. We have to be realistic about it.
Old April 11, 2012, 05:31 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

OK guys copied and pasted as this seems to have the most amount of support. I think it's fine and the best we can do:
Quote:
Format:

two brackets, unlimited (straight points race), and a handicap bracket. The handicap basis point score for each team would be taken directly from their average day in the CC, last year.

If you believe it favors smaller teams a bit too much, then give each team a 50% penalty for the *increase* - sounds diabolical, but it cuts down on the advantage of the smaller teams percentage being a smaller quantity, compared to the same percentage increase, in a larger team.

(I'm not sure this is needed since the smaller teams will undoubtedly be in the handicap bracket, and the larger teams will be in the unlimited bracket.)

It's fair, it handles any problem of teams merging (like NCIX and HWC last year), and has a leveling effect on the competition.

Points in this format would be:

Unlimited bracket:
race points earned = total FAH pts.

Handicap bracket:
race points earned = total FAH pts - average days total FAH pts taken from last years CC.

Teams that are new to the CC and racing for the first time need a simple tweak to the points formula:

race points earned = total FAH pts - team daily average for the last six months.

It's important to remember in the midst of all this, that this is just a FUN race. It's not life or death -- it's more important than that! I don't need rules about EVGA having contests during the race, or any team "timing" work units so they score the most points, etc.

It's a race!

I don't care if EVGA wants to set their britches afire, and run around the park - if it helps them fold, then it's a win -- for Folding@Home. Maybe EVGA will get some time on a super computer -- Go EVGA! You time your work units, and I'll time mine.

It's a race!!

[FEATURED] Chimp Challenge 2012 - Overclockers Forums

My guess is that EVGA,OCAU,.OC.com .HWC would be onboard (from what I see in their posts)

I also suggest we have a fallen soldiers section on the Contest page to commemorate Legends and past notable folders for future contest where we fold in their honor
Fold for team #54196
Old April 11, 2012, 05:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks good to me. Now all I need to do is scare up another 560Ti2WIN for one of my spare slots. Shoulda bought another one when they were on sale...........
Old April 11, 2012, 06:11 PM
Top Prospect

That quote of mine above is preliminary, and will be refined, in the points formula.

It shows the handicap points for a team by day, being any points above the "basis" (the CC average points for that day). Which is incorrect.

Correct for the handicap bracket is to have the PERCENTAGE of points above the basis for each team, per day, reflect in their Chimp points for that day. This would probably be expressed in percent. So 110% would be shown as 110, instead of 1.10.

More later, but the above format is the main points of my recommendation for the CC.
Old April 12, 2012, 04:07 AM
Top Prospect

This is a rough draft, see what you think.

The format would be the same as last year, EXCEPT:

1) This is a team race. Individuals don't need to sign up, or use a different passkey. Every team folder counts in this race.

2) The Handicap (hereafter called the "basis"), is calculated quite differently. Teams that work together in the race, will be given points just like they were one team, all along. All based on their performance of last year.

Code:
The following table is JUST a projection, to show how the points format being 
proposed, works. Nothing personal!! :)

It's a fairly standard format handicap race, except: 

1) The basis is calculated based on EITHER the team's prior race performance, 
or their average May 2011 folding totals, for ten days - whichever is higher. 

and 

2) The entire team (and their folding friends), will be racing, not just individuals 
within the team. 

Whichever team has the greatest increase in folding, compared to last year, 
should win the handicap portion of the race! 

Team         CC actual 2011   Basis    Projected Projected points  Projected race points
                points total            Increase  per day, 2012      per day, 2012
===============================================================================================
CbitChimps      43947959     4394795.9    7.9     34718887                79
EVGApes        120279256    12027925.6    7.5     90209442                75
ChimpPwrUp      27266335     2726633.5    6.5     17723118                65
MonkeyBollocks  15149103     1514910.3    6.3      9543935                63
MaxMonkeys      28575342     2857534.2    5.8     16573698                58
Beavers         40660364     4066036.4    5.3     21549993                53
OCNChimpin'    107318736    10731873.6    5.2     55805743                52
T32monkeys      42670316     4267031.6    5.1     21761861                51
TSChimp         45662987     4566298.7    5.1     23288123                51
Basis scores would be either the actual 2011 CC total points divided by 10 or one third the
total team points for May 2011, divided by 10, whichever is higher. This is necessary to accommodate both merging teams, and teams who had a low turnout for the 2011 CC race, but a high number of active team folders.

Please look it over, and let me know if it appears OK. Thanks.

Last edited by Adak; April 12, 2012 at 04:46 AM.
Closed Thread