Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2012, 04:00 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Hey Xavier...I was in the Captains forum this weekend and checked things out. I'll pop in again this weekend. For the most part we are a small team, but that makes it easier for us to come to a consensus.

We will be participating no matter what the rules are
Fold for team #54196
Old March 6, 2012, 06:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Hey Xavier...I was in the Captains forum this weekend and checked things out. I'll pop in again this weekend. For the most part we are a small team, but that makes it easier for us to come to a consensus.

We will be participating no matter what the rules are

Gives me another reason to build more high powered rig every year.
Old March 6, 2012, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ok.

I had a good conversation today with some friends.I explained what we were trying to accomplish as far as a fair scoring system for the chimp challenge.I used 'drag racing' as an example.

In proper drag racing , they don't try to pit a 7 second car against a 12 second car.They establish 'brackets'.

I then asked about a fair method of ranking the 7 second cars against the 12 second ones without brackets.(This is what the chimp challenge is.)

Here's the responses I got :

The first suggestion was to use a 'multiplayer' version of the Elo ranking system used for chess.

The second was about the ranking system used in the game 'go'.

It's quite possible that these ideas have been discussed already amongst the captains.I have no idea.

From the conversation I had today though , I feel we don't need to make new rules.I think we need to find a game that best matches the "Chimp Challenge" and use it's rules.

It's possible there's even a real 'drag racing' setup for this already.

------

I have had no response from HP......but my email's being flakey so who knows.

--

Old March 6, 2012, 04:25 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know the Elo system, I'll look into that.
But I really like the 'drag racing' analogy. HP vs. ppd... hmmm.
Old March 7, 2012, 02:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'm in conversation with a rep from HPCS.

Can't say anything yet , but I should know the status of the HPCS servers soon.I've obviously gotta ask permission etc for any quotes.

I'd really like to know what the aussie/russian teams think about HPCS.....If they don't care I don't.

Mebbie we can get HP to open up moar servers for the CC .....Hahahah !

I am on it though.

edit : I thanked them from all folders too.

Last edited by BrainEater; March 7, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old March 9, 2012, 08:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

OK.

Well don't say I did'nt try.

I've talked with HPCS.They won't say when the beta is ending , but they promise to give lotsa warning.

Old March 11, 2012, 12:37 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Guys I like the suggestion of comparing last years' CC PPD to this year as a basis of calculating CC points.

This will allow us to figure in the NCIX folders into our calculations, and avoid the silly cheating suggestion.

PPD/user is a bad idea IMO...it will penalize teams for bringing in new folders who fold small units. The CC is supposed to bring in new folders, no matter what they can contribute.

I'll bring up the CC calculations to last year as a suggestion from us. we can still come forward with other suggestions.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 12, 2012, 01:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yep , I'm with yah.Great idea.

There's actually a couple problems with ppd/user.....You see my post about the elo system ?

I'm still looking at it myself , but it might be food for next years contest !

Old March 14, 2012, 09:43 PM
Rookie

TEAM EVGA Co-CAPT

Not all teams have signed in yet...if you can contact others do so - Like BOSUN from TSC

just to let you know it should be based on best PPD (best weeks) so no one is pulling punches..it yours happens to be during CC or HPCS ..you'll have to deal with it
it's the best indication of your output

how can EVGA's best PPD months (or weeks) be included (OCT NOV) and OCN (Jan FEB ..and march) not be

you want fair - this is not

EVGA
folding@evga - Team Summary - EXTREME Overclocking Folding @ Home Stats

OCN
Overclock.net - Team Summary - EXTREME Overclocking Folding @ Home Stats

another thing at this rate there will be no contest - because no one is talking or discussing different formats/formula in the CC forums
Better get everyone involved and plugged in

if we use zodac's formula ...I can tell you we are out - and if we go by zodac's suggestion we leave out their best two months we are out
just by looking at the increase in OCN (over 40%) in last 2 months - they get a 40% handicap boost by ignoring that production

Last edited by Xavier Zepherious; March 14, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old March 14, 2012, 10:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree that it should be based on highest PPD, regardless of when it happened. (been saying that since last year!) HPCS and winter time simply can't be ignored from the equation.