Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Anyone tried GPUGrid with F@HSMP? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/51482-anyone-tried-gpugrid-f-hsmp.html)

frontier204 February 10, 2012 04:45 PM

Anyone tried GPUGrid with F@HSMP?

Hi all,

As the title states, I swapped my GeForce 550Ti over to GPUGrid because of BOINC's option to automatically halt GPU crunching when the computer is in use. I'm doing this because I have to switch to either IE or Firefox for some school stuff I'm doing, and F@H GPU will hit me with horrible GUI lag on those browsers (oddly Chrome and Opera are fine).

Right now I'm crunching acemd2_6.15_windows_intelx86__cuda31 and I don't notice any GUI lag (even while crunching) and my usually squealing GPU is also quiet.

I don't see any GUI lag but I'll see what happens over the next few Tasks (aka WUs). Is anyone else using this BOINC GPU + F@H CPU combo, and noticing anything detrimental like the two clients fighting for CPU cycles?

Thanks!

Oh, and those who haven't used HPCS to overtake me can do so now, as I'm down 8500 F@H PPD due to turning off F@H GPU :whistle:

rommelrommel February 10, 2012 07:32 PM

I turned off hardware acceleration in windows I think it was and that helped the lag a lot, although there are some oddities with that as well like the flashing text cursor disappearing. In between actually using the computer for gaming and the kids switching to their account I don't get a lot of GPU folding done on my main computer.

LCB001 February 10, 2012 07:49 PM

While I haven't run GPUGrid with smp folding I have run it with lots of other Boinc projects and didn't notice any lag or problems with the cpu projects.

Usually a cpu task/wu will defer to a gpu project when it comes to cpu cycles but most of the GPUGrid tasks don't seem to use that much in the way of cpu so hopefully it won't drop your smp ppd that much.

If you find GPUGrid is too cpu intensive you might try Einstein@Home as that uses even less...

frontier204 February 11, 2012 04:51 AM

I'll keep Einsteien@Home in mind, but for now it looks like the GPUGrid is actually affecting my CPU less than some nVidia F@H GPU units (although I obviously haven't tried all of the GPUGrid tasks yet).

Is it normal for GPUGrid tasks to not use all of the GPU? I'm seeing ~92-93% utilization in GPU-Z rather than the 99% that F@H pegs the GPU at.

LCB001 February 11, 2012 07:54 PM

As far as I know it's normal and happens with most Boinc gpu projects unless you modify some of the config/user files to run more than one task at a time.

My 460 1GB does ~94-95% on the GPUGrid long tasks while giving ~84k ppd so I'm happy.

If you get a second card in your system you could always run Boinc on the primary and F@H on the secondary and have the best of both worlds.

Help Cure Cancer (HCC :canadianwave:) at WCG will be starting a beta run for gpu tasks soon, once it goes mainstream it would be another option for the future...