Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2012, 04:21 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default What is better for folding

I have been thinking about this recently and wanted to the communities opinion. What would be more cost efficient for folding a single quad core CPU with many graphics cards or a 2p/4p system with a single graphics card. I always was if the understanding that GPU's were better for foldig than CPU's, am I wrong?
Old January 28, 2012, 05:39 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Well from a ppd/wtt standpoint a 2p/4p folding machine would be most cost effective since you do get bonus points nd can run bigadv. I hear many tales that 4p systems have power draw as low as ~500w. Even from a parts standpoint a 4p system will probably cost less than a 4gpu setup for the same ppd. Of course the cheapest way to do things is from used or leftover parts. If you ever plan on upgrading an older 4core cpu and motherboard you can keep your old parts and you have the basis of a smp folding system.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old January 28, 2012, 10:56 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

THanks for the advice, I will keep this in mind when building a new machine.
Old January 28, 2012, 11:38 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

2p/4p systems slaughter GPU's all things considered, if you're looking at 3/4 nvidia GPU's and the power supply that you'll need, and the cooling, and the power draw, I think the 2p/4p systems are by far the winners. If you look at complexity of setup the GPU's may be appealing although.
Old January 29, 2012, 07:41 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

As said, from a points perspective a 2 or 4 socket processor system is far superior with respect to power usage than running a lot of graphics cards.

From a science perspective, graphic folding benefits a different project set because it uses different cores to fold with. What the different projects are specifically, I don't know - but I have read on other folding forums that they want to fold with a graphics card for specific project reasons. If you go the GPU route, use Nvidia graphics cards.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old January 29, 2012, 10:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

well, I am not 100% sure the performance differences and such, but if you could get 2 high performance gpus and declock them some to get thier power down, you may get similar folding power to multi-cpu systems?

I do bitcoin mining, I had stopped down F@H awhile back, I know with bitcoin, AMD most certainly is faster.
F@H Core 16: Taking AMD GPU Folding to the Next Level?

I know AMD is no where near currently as fast to my knowledge as Nvidia is in Folding, however, that may change soon enough, the thing with Nvidia is their hardware generally speaking is easier to reach its performance maximums, AMD is alot more complicated to reap the benefits from, main reason is the shader design, but this being said, once they can(example bitcoining) AMD cards really do trump Nvidia cards.
Old January 29, 2012, 10:54 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

It depends what are you looking for: $$$/ppd, or W/ppd? Obviously for base investment, GPU folding is the way to go. But power-wise, the GPUs are real hogs... the other option is 2p /4 p rigs. This is where W/ppd is the real champ. A 2p rig with dual 6128s can produce ~90k ppd. A 4p like mine can do in excess of 500k ppd. Power consumption is ~300w for the 2p, and 525w for the 4p. There is not a GPU farm out there than can even come close to those numbers. Also add in the equation the noise and heat generated by the GPUs.

I used to GPU fold, and decided to invest in a 4p rig instead. Noise, power consumption and heat are all down, ppd is incredible. But it's an investment: 900$ for the board, 500$ per chip...
Old January 30, 2012, 10:30 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Hey Charlie, thanks for the tips!

I am still pretty new with this whole folding this so I'm how best to approach it. Right now I am folding on my desktop(SMP&GPU), Laptop(SMP) and my PS3. I am looking for the best $$$/ppd and cheapest way to increase my folding numbers.

I am thinking about upgrading my video card to a HD6970 or maybe a HD7950 once they are released so I would be using that and my current 4870 for folding. Power isn't really a concern at the moment since I don't pay for my power :D
Old January 30, 2012, 10:49 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

NVidia gpus far outperform AMD gpus for folding. My HD5750 is getting about 5500 ppd, 3 WUs a day, every third of fourth day it adds a 4th WU. 1835 points per WU. GTX460 get somewhere close to 10k ppd deepending on drivers and OS. I haven't been able to get my hands on a nvidia card yet- at least one that my son has hasn't killed on me.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old January 30, 2012, 02:31 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

$$$/ppd? Nvidia is the way to go. Make sure the card is properly cooled, and let it rip.