Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2012, 04:35 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Linux worth it for GPU folding?

I know Linux makes a difference in cpu smp folding, does it make enough of a difference in gpu folding to make it worthwhile?

My Intel E6300 doesn't have the guts to make cpu folding on it worthwhile, even in linux. I have been using my HD5750 to fold with.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old January 25, 2012, 05:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would say no.
Linux GPU drivers are way behind in the times, AFAIK they're usually coded by the community.
Old January 25, 2012, 05:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I would agree with supa, CPU folding is the main reason to go to linux, however if you are gpu folding you're best bet is Windows and if at all possible on nVidia (double the ppd unless this has changed?)
Old January 25, 2012, 06:42 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

uh, last time I checked (and I just checked) there isn't a linux GPU folding client available?
We used to have to run wine or some other windows emulator in linux, and run a windows GPU client inside of it.. which usually ended in tears.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.