Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 14, 2012, 07:28 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Where in the web console? I have been trying to follow the tutorial below

Quick and Dirty HPCS F@H Setup Guide

In the image below it appears that you can click hpdefault.pem and download the file there but when I click the "Connect to Server" button I only see text that says "Locate the private key for the key pair named hpdefault"

Thoughts?
Old February 14, 2012, 07:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The instructions you're using are if you're accessing through Linux.

If you're currently using windows, use the following instructions:

EVGA Windows HPCS Setup Guide

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old February 14, 2012, 07:44 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathus View Post
Where in the web console? I have been trying to follow the tutorial below

Quick and Dirty HPCS F@H Setup Guide

In the image below it appears that you can click hpdefault.pem and download the file there but when I click the "Connect to Server" button I only see text that says "Locate the private key for the key pair named hpdefault"

Thoughts?
click on the blue thing HPDEFAULT.PEM

:)

-joe
Old February 14, 2012, 07:45 AM
Top Prospect

I know I don't have the option to download them again. Mine are grey'd out now. Hopefully I don't loose them. best bet would be to contact support
Old February 14, 2012, 07:52 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtktam View Post
click on the blue thing HPDEFAULT.PEM

:)

-joe
Hi Joe,

The screenshot is from the tutorial, I don't have the option to download this file. I believe when I created the keypair there was a huge character string that I saved to another word document. Perhaps I have to save this as another file type and use it for Putty.
Old February 14, 2012, 07:58 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
The instructions you're using are if you're accessing through Linux.

If you're currently using windows, use the following instructions:

EVGA Windows HPCS Setup Guide
Hi GBA,

THanks for the tip, I have been following this guide but it is also asking me to select my saved PPK file which I don't appear to have. :( I have some key that I saved when I created the keypair but when I tried to save it as a .PPK file to use in Putty it doesn't accept it.
Old February 14, 2012, 08:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You create the key file using puTTygen, save it,

Quote:
Open PuTTYgen and select Conversions and Import Key. Select hpdefault.pem and Save private key. Ignore the warning.
I saved the files as USWest2-AZ2.ppk and USWest2-AZ1.ppk because only one key is needed for each compute cluster location.
Close PuTTYgen.
then load it into puTTy under
connection --> SSH --> Auth --> Browse

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old February 14, 2012, 08:16 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the clarification, but the problem that I am having is getting the hpdefault.pem file. When I created my keypair it said to copy the keypair text portion and use it to create the pem file. It doesn't appear to let me download the pem file and I'm not sure how to create the pem file on my own to load into PuTTYGEN as when I try to save the file as a .pem file and open with the "import key" PuTTYGEN doesn't recognize it saying it "couldn't load private key"
Old February 14, 2012, 08:43 AM
Top Prospect

so you never downloaded the hpdefault.pem file? I would contact HPCS support to get a new one

edit: after you get the hpdefault.pem file, you have to convert it to a ppk. it is the 5th(ish) paragraph down in the guide.
Quote:
Open PuTTYgen and select Conversions and Import Key. Select hpdefault.pem and Save private key. Ignore the warning.
I saved the files as USWest2-AZ2.ppk and USWest2-AZ1.ppk because only one key is needed for each compute cluster location.
Close PuTTYgen.
Old February 14, 2012, 08:53 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

No, I wasn't able to download the .pem file. I did end up calling HPCS support and they walked me through. It turns out that I was only copying the key but not the "-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----" and "-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----" portions when saving the file. I created a new keypair and copied all the info and it worked :) Now to go on to finish setting this up :(

Thanks for all the advice everyone!