Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2012, 03:38 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default 65 Hour Power Outage

Hi all,

Thursday morning at 7:30 PST we lost power and it did not come back until midnight on Saturday.

We had 18 inches of snow, followed by 1/2 inch of ice that took out power, landlines, and even my cell was out.

I had three trees fall across my driveway, and of course, my chain saw would not start, so that made for a fun time with the hand saw.

The temps were between 28 and 30 for most of the time, before and after.

Needless to say, my PPD and folding was zilch.

Now, I have to slowly watch my PPD creep back up to 90k a day again.

This was one of the worse times we have had, weather wise I can remember.

Remember, I live east of Seattle, and we normally get 6 inches of snow at the most, at one time.

Glad it is over, I am ready for a hot meal and a good cup of coffee.

Take care, and I AM BACK!!.........

* F@H Unit Points *
Old January 22, 2012, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Glad to see ya made it. This is why we, at HWC, support being ready for a zombie apocalypse. When you are ready for that it takes most other situations in stride also.
Old January 22, 2012, 03:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Glad to see ya made it. This is why we, at HWC, support being ready for a zombie apocalypse. When you are ready for that it takes most other situations in stride also.
Yes, on that note, I suggest you get the Chainsaw serviced promptly. It is very effective against the coming zombie apocalypse
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old January 22, 2012, 06:35 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Yes, on that note, I suggest you get the Chainsaw serviced promptly. It is very effective against the coming zombie apocalypse
I heard shot guns filled with a full cartridge of gunpowder and pennies work well too. Anyways glad you're back up and running also now I know who stole all the snow from Toronto!

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old January 23, 2012, 04:26 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, we're hit by long power outages every year or two. Worst was the hurricane Juan followed by 'White Juan' later that winter. No power in some locations for two weeks (my business included).. my apartment at the time was without power for about a week and a half.
Don't prepare for a zombie apoc.. that's not likely to happen. What is likely to happen is storms, hurricanes, winter and the ever growing threat of financial collapse. Preparations are similar, with the minor exception of killing the undead.
As for chainsaws on zombies - this is a bad idea, too heavy and they take valuable gas resources that you'll need for cars and generators. 8.5-12.5" 12-gauge shotgun is best.

As for PPD, it'll come back - it happens to all of us. I have UPS' on all my systems at home, but i'd never last more than a few hours - get a propane generator in the summer when people aren't going crazy buying them (like they will be now). Why propane? - you can rent a huge tank cheaply ($6/mo here), the fuel lasts forever (doesn't go bad like gas or diesel) and you can plub in your BBQ or gas fireplace in your home.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old January 23, 2012, 04:36 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Thats a brutal length of time. I can't imagine how older folks without young families around to check on them fared. Times like this require communities to help out.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 23, 2012, 06:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Damn 2 week outage, we don't get them for that length of time. Its pretty common to lose power here for 1-3 days after a storm, price of living in the middle of the bush where every tree is a possible culprit. We have a diesel generator, the trade off for propane if you get long or frequent outages is fuel cost. a house propane generator will burn a hole in your pocket pretty quickly if its running for any period of time and are usually only rated for anywhere from 60-80% load. if you live in a urban area though its probably your only choice from a noise pollution and bylaw standpoint.

Make sure you have a emergency kit handy, food supplies etc. power is the least of your issues if you cant stay warm or eat. Need your strength when you have to keep your cardio up running from the zombies.
Old January 23, 2012, 07:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Reminds me of the Y2K scare.
Old January 23, 2012, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

That's a long time without coffee.

No generator Lee ?

---

Nice to have you back !

Old January 23, 2012, 09:15 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Out Again

Hi all,

Today (Monday) we lost power again from noon to 9:00 PM.

Tell ya what, I am getting VERY tired of this.

Anyone want to buy my rigs?
(Just kiddin')

Take care..........

* F@H Unit Points *