Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2012, 08:04 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Taking a break

All hail (the eventual leader) 4DoorGTZ[HCF]!

Yup, selling off the farm. Three SR2s are going out the door come hell or high water. Time to purge out the stuff that just accumulates.. i'm clearing out the garage and selling off a lot of things. Some here, some ebay, some both. I'm preparing the early stages of moving.. which will probably come this summer/fall.

There's a tonne of other reasons to sell them off, most of which I won't list here. I don't exactly need the money (well, everyone can use more money, lol) it's just the constant updates and maintenance of the boxes. I just don't have the time. And space constraints at work.. they are taking a lot of space in the server room on the shelves which are meant for stock. I'm not bringing them home, i'm not taking the financial hit with electricity costs again, here in NS (16c/Kwh!)

I'll probably build another (read: one) bad ass server when the new Xeon boxes have matured (late summer, fall) or a cool 4P Opteron box in the new place.. I'm thinking of buying a cheaper house and getting it and plugging 100k into upgrades, like solar water pre-heat, solar electricity, either an electric heat pump or geo-thermal so when I go nuts folding - I don't feel as bad. 80% of NS power comes from coal.. it's been a point of dishonor for folding here (even if it's free power @ work)

Anywho, fold on brothers (and sisters?)

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old January 14, 2012, 08:10 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I've been there, and done that too. I'm actually in the process of streamlining my own farm... and with the constant hardware evolution, you have to update the rigs eventually.
Hey, take your time. Once you're ready to fold again, we'll still be around. SB-E will be well established, and maybe Interlagos will have a surprise for us...
Old January 14, 2012, 08:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Right on, I for one would be very interested in the energy renos to a house. That would be threadworthy to the max!
Old January 14, 2012, 08:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yep, happens to all of us at some point (although not perhaps quite to the same extent as your particular farm... ;) ). I'll look forward to seeing you back "in the fold" when/if circuumstances change, as well as extend my own personal thanks for the work you've put into folding for HWC to date.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 14, 2012, 08:42 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks guys, i'll still be folding at work - I have a 980x test box which will go in the server cabinet, and another test file server (internal use) which I'll be folding on. It's just that my PPD will drop dramatically.. heh.

Quote:
Old January 14, 2012, 08:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, you'll still output more PPD than most of the team haha!

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old January 14, 2012, 08:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Dang sorry to hear all those ppd leaving, lol just joking hope you still will be popping in here to HWC Rison. Energy upgrades to your home is always a worth cause IMO, out here in the west with all the hydro I often forget your mostly coal still back there.
Anyhow A big thank you for all your time and effort from all of us here at HWC Folding team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old January 14, 2012, 08:48 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

No worries Rison this folding addiction comes in ebbs and flows. When you have these insane setups like you have, it takes a lot of cash and work too.

Great to see you hanging around still as well. Next time through NS we should have a beer or 10.

edit: ps. I thinkNS and NF will be getting Muskrat Falls going soon so you should be able to get some hydroelectric soon as well! (as in 10 years ;p)
Fold for team #54196
Old January 14, 2012, 10:25 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Haha, the muskrat falls.. right.
All they're doing is flowing all that energy from NF through NS to the United States to sell it. We'll still sit at 15-16c/Kwh.
The government isn't out for the people, they are out to line their own pockets.

Quote:
Old January 20, 2012, 08:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am also slowing down a little, cancelled some upgrades, unfortunate event, lost my job yesterday, selling my gx2 and the 2P folder, I don't know what is coming ahead so slowing down a little.