Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2012, 11:38 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Quad processor G34 build

My compact and cheap 4p build I just finished. No more desktop PCs for me, I have this rig and my laptop. It's getting 230k ppd on the 6903 it's working on right now.

Tyan s8812 used
Ebay 6128s
Hyper 212+
32GB Adata 1333mhz cl9
Silencer 910W Silver PSU used
WD VelociRaptor used
Plywood used
= $1525 total after tax and stuff

The PSU is really crammed in at the bottom with the cables tied in place because it's not modular. The board is held on by the the heatsink screws which extend through the board and plywood and have a nut on the back. The nuts clamp the CPU backplates to the wood to help support the heavy CPU coolers without twisting the board. CPUs are at 28-37C with the ones at the back being hotter. There is also an 80mm fan buried in cables by the chipset heatsinks to keep them cool. It's smaller than a case like an Antec 900 but it is heavy with all of that hardware.

To set it up I didn't connected anything but power and ethernet to it and sit on the couch and configure it over IPMI. The sever motherboard takes care of all that for you over the network by running a web interface (like a router) on a special always on chip that you can log into to control the power button, bios settings, temperature and fan sensors, and a hardware version of remote desktop. I also installed the OS over the network without having to touch the server because the web network controller takes an ISO on your pc and makes the motherboard think a USB DVD drive of that disk is attached. I have it set up to start folding automatically on power up with no gui so it is very easy to run remotely.

No big upgrades for me until summer 2013 because of university so I hope it will run stable for months at a time until then. These aren't the high end 12 core ships that get 500k ppd because those are still $500 each but with next gen chips out by the time I upgrade next maybe this board will eventually hit 750k ppd.

EDIT: or not, next gen opterons will be on a different socket, magny and interlagos are as good as it gets for g34
EDIT2: AMD changed its plans again, I hope these Piledriver G34 chips rock

Last edited by Zink; April 8, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old January 10, 2012, 11:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Cool "case". How did ya mount the h212's ? I might replace my crappy thermaltake 2u sinks with h212 s if they mount securely.
Old January 10, 2012, 11:55 AM
Top Prospect

hmm.. i wonder if there is some tweaks to get higher PPD? i figure 8x4 = 32 cores would score higher?

-joe
Old January 10, 2012, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

using kraken affinity wrapper, disaling powernow in bios, playing with ram timings maybe. All you can do i think. The cores only run at 2GHz after all.
Old January 10, 2012, 02:23 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

NUMA enabled. Gotta love IPMI.

One more S8812 in the House. Folding for 54196 I hope? My 4p (see sig) hovers around 247k ppd on a 6903. Here's mine.

Old January 10, 2012, 02:33 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Y'all are still copycats

Kidding kidding... Nice job there with yet another badass 4P rig. If I were a folder I'd probably dish out and try to "take back the crown" for craziest system, but I have neither the funds nor the working hands to do so. Perhaps one day... lol
Old January 10, 2012, 03:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
.... Folding for 54196 I hope?
It better be , Fatass !!

------

Nice rig !
Old January 10, 2012, 05:17 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I'm restarting to check the bios because I didn't look for anything specific when I went through it first so I'm not sure about numa or power settings. The linux install has all the musky tweaks so it should be all right. This board can't overclock like the supermicro boards so it is only 64ghz total. An overclocked 48 core system using 6172 chips is 113.4Ghz total so that is why they get in the 550k range.
Old January 10, 2012, 05:22 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Only need TheKraken on this board.

To check whether NUMA is enabled, run 'grep MemTotal /sys/devices/system/node/node[0-9]*/meminfo' -- should return two nodes, each with memory.
Old January 10, 2012, 05:50 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Only need TheKraken and Langouste and samba and ssh and screens and a backup script and folding on power up on this board.
Fixed that for you. Working without a gui makes things different, I changed some bios settings though that might give it a boost.