Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2012, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtktam View Post
Not for HWC at the moment.. engaging in a points race with another member in the current team.. :)
which is TeamUbuntu
Old January 12, 2012, 07:31 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

BIOS settings are same for CPU, here are the others. Linux is also set up per the Musky Mix, TheKraken is installed, not Langouste, and -bigadv -smp 32 are the flags. I don't know if my Hyper Transport settings are fine.

Old January 12, 2012, 09:14 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
NUMA enabled. Gotta love IPMI.
One more S8812 in the House. Folding for 54196 I hope? My 4p (see sig) hovers around 247k ppd on a 6903. Here's mine.
Quote:
HOW MUCH?!? My rig sits at 223k ppd for a 6903...
If you say so. My bios settings are the same as yours but I hadn't realised I could change the settings under ECC Config with standard DDR3. Mine was set to [Basic] so I changed it to [Disabled] like you have because that sounds like the faster option.
My flags are -smp -bigadv -bigbeta but I don't think these matter as long as the client gets a 6903.

My tpf on the current unit seems to be about 22:45 on average so "245k ppd" according to the calc. My first ppd number of 335k is from when I had PowerNow [Enabled]. It seams we're even so that's great.

EDIT: I'm getting 22:54 tpf on the same unit as before so I'm switching ECC back on. It could be something else like dynamic load balancing but I think ECC [Basic] was a bit faster than [Disabled]. I'm trying the [Good] setting now just for fun.

Last edited by Zink; January 13, 2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old January 13, 2012, 03:49 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
which is TeamUbuntu
is that a problem? :)

-joe
Old January 13, 2012, 06:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

not at all, folding is folding :)
Old January 13, 2012, 06:48 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zink View Post
If you say so. My bios settings are the same as yours but I hadn't realised I could change the settings under ECC Config with standard DDR3. Mine was set to [Basic] so I changed it to [Disabled] like you have because that sounds like the faster option.
My flags are -smp -bigadv -bigbeta but I don't think these matter as long as the client gets a 6903.

My tpf on the current unit seems to be about 22:45 on average so "245k ppd" according to the calc. My first ppd number of 335k is from when I had PowerNow [Enabled]. It seams we're even so that's great.

EDIT: I'm getting 22:54 tpf on the same unit as before so I'm switching ECC back on. It could be something else like dynamic load balancing but I think ECC [Basic] was a bit faster than [Disabled]. I'm trying the [Good] setting now just for fun.
Keep us on the loop, I always had ECC disabled. But Powernow, that's interesting. Could it be the 'Turbo' kicking in? As far as tpf and ppd, both rigs are almost the same (22:40, 238k per HFM).

edit: I don't think Powernow makes any difference - see AMD PowerNow!. My question is, why add this feature on a 4p server board when the article talks about notebooks and battery power savings? Weird.
Old January 13, 2012, 08:07 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Keep us on the loop, I always had ECC disabled. But Powernow, that's interesting. Could it be the 'Turbo' kicking in? As far as tpf and ppd, both rigs are almost the same (22:40, 238k per HFM).

edit: I don't think Powernow makes any difference - see AMD PowerNow!. My question is, why add this feature on a 4p server board when the article talks about notebooks and battery power savings? Weird.
I think the recommendation is to disable PowerNow to increase performance slightly. PowerNow lets the CPUs drop bellow 2Ghz when they are not fully loaded I would guess and then they take some time to get back to full frequency which impacts performance.
Old January 14, 2012, 08:51 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

3rd 6903 is almost done. 22:40-22:50 tpf which is 243k ppd before upload and dl times bring it back down to about 230k.
Power use is 160W idle, 470W while working a 6903 = 510ppd/w. Most extras on the board are disabled but IPMI is still on.

Using wondershaper to regulate download bandwidth so it doesn't completely kill the connection for people gaming on my dsl.
Uploads are capped at 75% of the maximum to keep the ping down, done directly in langouste using the rate limiting feature that you an learn about in the readme.
QoS also set to low on the router now, before it was off.

I haven't tested the bandwidth limiting yet but I know without it my connection had very high latency and very slow page loads for the hour it takes to upload 200MB of results.

EDIT: these setting work great during wu uploads, barely any difference in ping or dl speeds. There is little upload bandwidth for other purposes but that is how it is intend.

Last edited by Zink; January 15, 2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old January 20, 2012, 06:52 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zink View Post
3rd 6903 is almost done. 22:40-22:50 tpf which is 243k ppd before upload and dl times bring it back down to about 230k.
Power use is 160W idle, 470W while working a 6903 = 510ppd/w. Most extras on the board are disabled but IPMI is still on.

Using wondershaper to regulate download bandwidth so it doesn't completely kill the connection for people gaming on my dsl.
Uploads are capped at 75% of the maximum to keep the ping down, done directly in langouste using the rate limiting feature that you an learn about in the readme.
QoS also set to low on the router now, before it was off.

I haven't tested the bandwidth limiting yet but I know without it my connection had very high latency and very slow page loads for the hour it takes to upload 200MB of results.

EDIT: these setting work great during wu uploads, barely any difference in ping or dl speeds. There is little upload bandwidth for other purposes but that is how it is intend.

does the transfer from fah really affect the link that much?

-joe
Old January 20, 2012, 07:04 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

It's the aggregate time between download and upload that determines the bonus points, so yes, the transfer can have a large impact on the final points value, if you have a really slow upload like me.