Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2011, 11:13 PM
Rookie

Default Overclock vs FAH Usage.

I might as well pose a question shortly after my introduction. Just out of curiosity I was wondering which is harder on a component, overclocking or the FAH usage. For example, is having my usage for CPU or GPU at 80% and overclocking 20% better than running 100% at stock speeds? I assume the higher the overclock the more stress, but more just as a general question.

Have a good one

Last edited by MrE05; November 28, 2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old November 29, 2011, 03:59 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I would have to think that 100% FAH usage is harder on the system overall. It would be hard to tell really though...if at stock thechip is already close to its top speed and volts, the yes the 100% at stock folding 24/7 would be tough. If the chip was made using a mature process and design, and had a lot of headroom out of the box then an OC might stress it more.

Overall, I would have to say the heat and power stress system wide due to folding 24/7 is more stressful on the system as a whole. This would depend on how the various products in the system were binned, and quality of components.
Fold for team #54196