Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2011, 10:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default FAH+media center build?

A while back when I first decided to try out the 2p build I had already decided to make it both a FAH+media center and am still going to move forward with this idea but I am not sure how to do this.
I finally recieved my 2 AMD 6128 processors and now only need to pickup some heat sinks for them and as for the OS I am still not sure what to use is it possible to use a Linux server for fah and then build from source code xbmc off of the Linux server. Also would I be able to access the media files from my windows7 x64 , my Linux laptop and my older dlink media player?
Old November 26, 2011, 12:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you can fold in a VM in Linux, and have W7x64 as base. But if the drives/folders are shared you should be able to see them from Linux also.
Old November 26, 2011, 12:57 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I use my main rig for folding and media, but always used Windows to do so.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 26, 2011, 08:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
I use my main rig for folding and media, but always used Windows to do so.
this is what I am currently doing but I am getting POed at win7x64 media center becasue it sometimes doesn't play some of my media files through the media center but in the media player it does.
Old November 26, 2011, 11:35 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I use SageTV for my media needs, but it is no longer for sale since Google bought them.

I have been trying Remote Potato recently for my Android tablet...shares media great, but does not control my tuner very well...its free give it a try.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 27, 2011, 05:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

how about forgetting Media Center and use VLC?
Old November 27, 2011, 10:53 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

+1 VLC
-1 Media center
Old November 27, 2011, 11:14 AM

My System Specs

Lol @ VLC. Talk about a compromise.

Shadowmeph, I really don't see anything difficult with what you are asking if you are familiar w/ using Linux. XBMC has solid linux releases. Then just share your hard drives for access from other machines.

Not sure why you'd use a server variation of Linux though, there isn't much (if any) gain for folding@home from using it over a GUI-based version of Linux.
Old November 27, 2011, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

how much of a difference is it using the linux_fahx64 in vm then installing an actual Linux distro and then installing fah on it.
Old November 27, 2011, 10:00 PM
Rookie

Not having folded in VM I cant say with certainty but I believe the difference would be very small. A good source told me he sees around a 19% improvement in frame times going win7 to VM.

My personal experience is a 17-20% improvement going from win7 to native linux. Those numbers are a bit too similar to think that VM linux would be at much of a handicap.

Looking forward to seeing your folding results, im curious to see how many big adv you get having 16 cores.