Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2011, 08:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Folding on Hyper-V

Has anybody done it? I installed this image: Folding@Home - Native Folding Image - LinuxForge.net onto a Hyper-V VM with 4 cores, 2GB of RAM.

Underlying hardware is:
i5 2500K - 42x multiplier, but otherwise "stock" settings. That means it only runs 4.2GHz when under load.
16GB DDR3-1333

Hyper-V Manager shows 90-95% CPU usage, but on the host (via task manager) CPU usage is basically 0%. F@H logs show that it's doing work though. Apparently task manager doesn't monitor the Hyper-V service.

It would appear as though it is working:

Now, what's the most ideal settings to enter in the web config? I attached what I'm currently using, but it was just mainly guesses
Attached Images

Last edited by JD; November 24, 2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old November 25, 2011, 05:09 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

It's always been the issue with Hyper-V, loading the cores properly. This was never fixed. Why are you using Hyper-V? The VMware image works fine too (use VMPlayer 3.0, and only 3.0) for 100% CPU usage... and your web settings look fine. I'd try enabling Langouste, if it works properly (allows to receive / being folding a new WU while a completed WU is sent).
Old November 25, 2011, 07:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Using Hyper-V since that's what I have on my home server, and I have a bunch of "development" servers running within it. Basically it's just my playground

Figured I'd run FAH in it as well (for the winter months), but it has the lowest priority for RAM/CPU. I'm not out to produce crazy PPD numbers or setup dedicated folding farms like some of you guys, just to provide some contribution to the team! Obviously I don't want to run it directly on the host either since that would severely impact performance.

Wonder if running a Server 2008 Core Edition would be better? It would at least integrate with Hyper-V properly, lacks a GUI (so less overhead) and I'd assume it could run FAH command-line mode. But from what I gather, folding on Windows isn't the most ideal.

It is definitely using the CPU though, as it's running at 4.2GHz. If it was truly idle (as the host OS is showing), then it would be running much slower.
Old November 25, 2011, 09:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well finished 2 WU's now, seem to be getting around 16.5k PPD. GRO-A3 units, P6972. Good/bad?
Old November 26, 2011, 08:12 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I have no idea! Been a while since I folded SMP WUs. Maybe others can chime in.
Old November 26, 2011, 08:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

very good actually
Old November 28, 2011, 11:04 PM
Rookie

On a 6973, I got 14,048 PPD at 4.5GHz, -SMP 3, on VMware. Usually around 20k ppd with 4 cores.
Old December 2, 2011, 07:04 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Hokay, this thread has me thinking.. if you run taskmgr in hyperv (at the bare metal) you can see all the cores, all the ram, etc.. how about running the dos command on the baremetal hyperv install? well.. to answer your question.. i'll probably be installing it on a i7 980x later this afternoon for shits and giggles! lol.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old December 2, 2011, 09:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
Hokay, this thread has me thinking.. if you run taskmgr in hyperv (at the bare metal) you can see all the cores, all the ram, etc.. how about running the dos command on the baremetal hyperv install? well.. to answer your question.. i'll probably be installing it on a i7 980x later this afternoon for shits and giggles! lol.
Mines not a baremetal hypervisor, just running it as a role.

Anyways, I'm up around 20k PPD now, so obviously things are working fine.
Old December 2, 2011, 10:53 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well, to answer my own question, yes: it runs fine on the baremetal (free) hyperv server 2008 r2 easy enough. I have no idea what kind of performance it's running.. cause I haven't figured out how to share a directory and stuff.. in order for HFM to connect to the log files.
Now to see how the VMs hold up when the system goes to 100%, hehe.

This is just on our test servers btw.. wouldn't do this on a customers box. :)

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.