Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   ASUS bringing the SB-E PPD? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/48469-asus-bringing-sb-e-ppd.html)

Dead Things November 17, 2011 04:13 PM

ASUS bringing the SB-E PPD?

This was just brought to my attention by a thread at [H]. It says pretty much the exact same thing that all other ASUS X79 previews say, except for one thing...

Quote:

For those that are looking for high-quality, feature-laden workstation motherboards, ASUS has a few of those too. The company has other workstation class motherboards, but as much as we want to, we unfortunately we cannot discuss them at this time. But what we can tell you, is that the EVGA SR-3 will no longer be the only choice this time around. ;)
I give EVGA full marks for innovation, but sadly their implementation has never really been up to snuff. If ASUS does indeed produce an overclockable 2P LGA2011 board to compete with the SR-3, then I will listen to what it has to say. :biggrin:

boggtrotter59 November 17, 2011 04:35 PM

Hmmm... very interesting... Time to start saving some coin :biggrin:

LCB001 November 17, 2011 07:37 PM

Now this would be great to see, I love my SR-2's but competition for EVGA at this level can only be good.

And all my other boards are Asus...

lowfat November 17, 2011 08:03 PM

I have heard about this already, but now that I know how ratios work w/ SB-E, a 2p board sounds more and more attractive. You should be able to get a pair of 2GHz 8-cores and clock the crap out of them.

Dead Things November 17, 2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 569894)
You should be able to get a pair of 2GHz 8-cores and clock the crap out of them.

I get the impression that water will be a minimum requirement. The reason why Xeon-class SB-E will be clocked so low for its octocore parts is due to their thermal properties. Once you start overclocking them, we're talking TDP well in excess of 130w - who knows how high the envelope will go?

I, for one, think it will be some kinda fun to find out! :thumb:

chrisk November 18, 2011 04:08 AM

Hey I might start doing bigadv again!!!

MARSTG November 18, 2011 05:31 AM

I guess a Xeon E5 would be on the 8C/16T style, allowing work of bigadv?

Grampa November 24, 2011 05:11 PM

Interesting...

This would definitely be in-line with some discussion I read last year, over at EVGA forums, about the original designer for the SR-2 board (forgot the name of the person), that had left EVGA, to move over to ASUS.

However, looking back I guess there was never really any official word of a possible oc'able 2P board with ASUS, just hearsay.
However if they really are working on one, it definitely merits a close look, and comparison with the SR-3 when it eventually gets to market.

ZZLEE November 24, 2011 06:39 PM

Sammy Is his internet name :)

Dead Things December 17, 2011 11:30 PM

I want these so badly!

:sad: